Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: VIC check  (Read 6853 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: VIC check
« Reply #45 on: 30 March 2013, 19:30:26 »

So if its current MOT expires 31/03/2013 and it turnes up for MOT test on 01/04/2013 then its going to be a problem ?

As it would appear he is the registered keeper does he need to get the VIC test done to keep it or is it only if he intends selling it on.

Getting abit confused here now  :D

05omegav6

« Reply #46 on: 30 March 2013, 19:54:00 »

Still wouldn't pay much over £300 for it :-\

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 30 March 2013, 20:44:04 »

Cat C does not void the MOT and it can be re-mot'd by the registered keeper, VIC only comes into play when the ownership changes.
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Big_Al

« Reply #48 on: 30 March 2013, 21:05:43 »

Just noticed that the listing is now showing MOT expires 03/2014 and that the MOT is booked for Monday 1st April so either he is being very optomistic or is an April fool ;D ;D ;D

Can you get a new MOT test done without having the VIC certified ?

Yes.  Did it to my one . The vehicle has to have a current MOT to be able to have the VIC done .

The VIC is purely to confirm to VOSA / DVLA that it is the actual vehicle & not a "ringer"

VIC comes into play on ownwership change  . . . DVLA won't issue a new logbook /V5 to a new owner on a cat. C or D  vehicle

until this VIC check is done

The VIC test is £41.00 & has to be pre booked 

Repairs are not tested as far as I am aware
« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 21:13:04 by Essex Big Al »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 30 March 2013, 21:15:15 »

So once the car has a full MOT certificate the registered owner can tax and use the car ?

The VIC will need to be carried out only at the point of a change of ownership to satisfy the system that the car is infact what it was originally registered as

Assume a MOT would then inspect and confirm the road worthyness of any repairs

05omegav6

« Reply #50 on: 30 March 2013, 21:20:43 »

If the seller won't get the VIC check done having carried out the repairs, that suggests something to hide imho :-\

Big_Al

« Reply #51 on: 30 March 2013, 21:25:04 »

So once the car has a full MOT certificate the registered owner can tax and use the car ?

The VIC will need to be carried out only at the point of a change of ownership to satisfy the system that the car is infact what it was originally registered as

Assume a MOT would then inspect and confirm the road worthyness of any repairs

I would say yes to all 3 points Amba.

My omega is SORN at the moment as I have not got a V5 as I sent it off to change to my ownership when buying the car & DVLA

will not issue a new one in my name (The new owner) until this VIC test is carried out. So cannot tax it until this is done .

I have had no notification from DVLA or VOSA that the MOT I got with the car is not valid .

Although I did re MOT it on the day I got the car home just to make sure all was OK.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 30 March 2013, 21:32:35 »

It certainly is a  bit of a "mind field" and thanks for extra info Al.

So bottom line really is to make it a viable option the car needs a full MOT and also the Vic done prior to selling...even after that the asking price needs some adjustment on the downward side  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 30 March 2013, 21:40:30 »

Remember that some insurance companies won't touch cars that have been written off.
Grumpy old man

Big_Al

« Reply #54 on: 30 March 2013, 21:43:39 »

It certainly is a  bit of a "mind field" and thanks for extra info Al.

So bottom line really is to make it a viable option the car needs a full MOT and also the Vic done prior to selling...even after that the asking price needs some adjustment on the downward side ::)

An MOT after the repairs were carried out would be best from a buyers point of view.

But I am not sure that the exsisting MOT from before the repairs were carried out is not valid .

IMO it would be, as I have said in previous post I have had nothing from from VOSA/DVLA saying the old MOT is not valid or that

I have to have a new MOT before the car is presented for the VIC 

Minefield  . . . that sums it up  ;D ;D ;D

Big_Al

« Reply #55 on: 30 March 2013, 21:46:13 »

Remember that some insurance companies won't touch cars that have been written off.

As said     TFS    the word "Minefield"   sums it up  :o :o :o

At this rate i will be looking for another Mig myself  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 21:47:51 by Essex Big Al »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30 March 2013, 22:21:19 »

Just deleted it from my viewing page so won,t be tempted any more . ;D

A load of grief  seems to be wrapped up in that Elite >:(

Big_Al

« Reply #57 on: 30 March 2013, 22:44:49 »

Just deleted it from my viewing page so won,t be tempted any more . ;D

A load of grief  seems to be wrapped up in that Elite >:(

You are probably right to give this one a miss Amba  . .  but thinking about this VIC check  :-\ :-\

SWMBO had a Vectra that was an "uneco" write off when she was involved in a minor shunt.

We brought the car back from the insurance company as it was only superfical cosmetic damage

(fog lamp smashed & a minor dent in wing)

We used the car for almost 3 years after this until it was scrapped.

the point is no VIC test was requested as it did not change ownership .

So I am thinking the present owner of the omega you are looking at probably cannot get a VIC check on it as this will only

be required when it changes owner/keeper & a new V5 is required .

There was no  record on the V5 I got with my car that it was a Cat. C or D ,as the "write off" occured with the last owner from whom I brought the car .

But when the new V5 is issued to me after the VIC it will be marked as a Cat. C or D write off. :-\ :-\ :-\

« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 22:49:09 by Essex Big Al »

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 31 March 2013, 09:14:08 »

When mine was written off for a rear wing, bumper and tailgate, it was Cat C and needed a VIC.

In the space of a week it had one MoT (with advisories), VIC, second MoT at a different testing station having completed the advisory work (needs to be advisory free for my council).  My car has never changed hands, but reissued V5 has a note on it saying summat along lines of 'Category C, substantial damage/repair'.

Al, I would suggest getting yours through a VIC, just to be sure.

The only reason a seller of a Cat C/D vehicle that they have repaired won't present it for a VIC is because they know it will be flagged up for summat :-\

Question is whether a VIC is covered by the same rules as an MoT with regard to tax/current MoT :-\ Suspect that if DVLA won't issue a new V5 without a VIC, then you won't be able to buy tax either until it's done. So to/from prearranged 'test' only unless on a trailer :-\

Worth a call or pop into your nearest VOSA test site just to clarify...

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 31 March 2013, 09:42:35 »

I have decided to "draw a line under this one" so will bin it as its flagging up a whole load of potential grief >:(,but many thanks for all the info guys :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.