Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Better brakes....?  (Read 6665 times)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Better brakes....?
« on: 11 October 2015, 16:09:35 »

Following a bit of track time I had in my Omega yesterday, my brakes obviously got hot and there was fade - a lot of it TBH

Is there a bolt o brake upgrade that can be readily got hold of...?

I will be upgrading the pads for EBC yellowstuff FR at some point in the near future but was wondering if something like Monaro brakes are a straight bolt on swap or if there is any other engineering required, like brake carriers need machining so they fit the Omega struts...  :y

TIA  :D
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: Better brakes....?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2015, 16:24:30 »

tbh omega brakes where always very good but you are driving a executive car which In theory was never designed to be hacked around any track  :o
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2015, 16:38:41 »

I understand that, but am asking if there is a bolt on upgrade available, not whether it will be any good on a track...

For example my car before the Omega was a Vectra B, with that there was a straight forward bolt on upgrade from the 2.6 Vectra and they was very good with Mintex pads...

Maybe the Monaro brake smight be a straight forward swap, as Im led to believe the Omega has the same running gear...?
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2015, 16:59:33 »

You want to look at this monaro upgrade, iirc it's a bolt on set up but not that easy to find the calipers. http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1269020773

I copied someone else and used cayeman 6 pot calipers and Audi A8 disc. Safe to say I haven't had any brake fade yet but it does require custom brackets.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2015, 17:04:44 »

Get in touch with, serek. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2015, 17:08:21 »

Upgrades are possible - especially on a track car. The maths is very complex though, with regards to brake bias front-rear and ABS thresholds.

I speak as someone who is always interested in making things better, faster and stronger, not a trained expert...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2015, 17:16:38 »

2004 5.7 Monaro calipers are a bolt on upgrade requiring only the calipers and pads... Discs being the same thickness and diameter...

2005/6/7 Monaro Vxr calipers are also bolt on but require modified Mercedes W163 Ml discs. I have a this set up on my car and am very happy with it.

Monaro AP calipers will bolt straight on but require custom mounting bells for the (Expensive) two piece discs...

:y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2015, 17:34:12 »

Thanks for all the brilliant answers :y

I will keep a lookout for the Monaro brakes, but what size are the rotors...? I will be upgrading the rotors too from the 296mm standard rotors... I presume the rear brakes will be OK as I upgraded them to the vented rears a couple of months ago, possibly just need to upgrade the pads to Mintex1144's as I just got a text off a mate and he said the Yellowstuff pads aren't as good as they are meant to be and he is running Mintex 1144's on his track car...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2015, 17:46:02 »

Yeah I was goin to comment on the yellow stuff pads, personally I think all the stuff pads are crap. If you want a good friendly pad either the ferodo ds2500 or mintex 1144.

As for brake disc, I have always tracked with stock blank disc. There is no real benefit from performance disc on the road or general track day. From what I read the slotted disc are designed for clearing water off the face and the drilled holes are for gasses releasing from the pad built up by the heat but as a side effect weaken the disc and crack. If you want to replace discs every track day then go for it.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2015, 18:00:52 »

Currently using 330x32mm plain vented Mintex discs with EBC Ultimax pads...

Perform really well but discs are scored after 3k and am on my second set of pads... Dusty as fook but fade free... My commute is 23 miles each way, mostly nsl dual carriageway but with 23 roundabouts and I am not exactly gentle with it, but the brakes will still pull it up in short order from the limit without fading at the end of the trip 8)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2015, 19:07:45 »

I was going to ask about the Ultimax pads too... :y cheers Al...

I have new discs on the front which are vented and not drilled or grooved...

I did have Ferodo dustless pads on my Astra F and they performed very well indeed. I only fitted them as that car suffered badly from brake fade (it was only a 1.4 8V) but I drove it quite hard TBH especially on the back roads round here LOL
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

GmasterT

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambridge
  • does that drifting thing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2015, 01:20:11 »

I'm looking into lotus carlton discs and subaru calipers :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2015, 11:53:43 »

Mintex 1144s are certainly great on my Westfield. Might need something more robust on a heavier car, though. They are, however, not ECE 90 approved, so I don't believe that makes them strictly legal for road use on an Omega.

I interpret the rules to mean that they are legal on my kit car, as it's not an EU type approved vehicle.

They are marked "Not for road use". Beware, as this marking is susceptible to brake cleaner. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2015, 12:20:57 »

have 360mm discs with 6 pot brembo for about year, tested at cadwell park early this year work as should.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2015, 12:27:52 »

I run Lucas front sliding front calipers, with 296mm vented front discs  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.