Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: xenon bulbs  (Read 1987 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
xenon bulbs
« on: 15 June 2016, 17:23:29 »

I'm sure their is a post about types of bulbs needed to replace blown ones, but I don't seem to be able to find it. its the xenon headlight ones I'm interested in mainly. I had a brakelight bulb go, which has prompted me to carry spares.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: xenon bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2016, 17:29:21 »

HID bulbs are D2S 4500K is the norm on here
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2016, 17:49:52 »

You cant 'realistically' change em at the roadside, according the manual they are dealer repair only.
Frankly, I wouldnt carry a spare unless you had one knocking around, a phillips or osram replacement will be about £50!

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2016, 18:02:00 »

You cant 'realistically' change em at the roadside, according the manual they are dealer repair only.
Frankly, I wouldnt carry a spare unless you had one knocking around, a phillips or osram replacement will be about £50!
  No, I had an idea the headlights weren't a roadside job, but was thinking in the lines of keeping a spare set & probably carry rear end ones in the boot.  :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2016, 18:06:47 »

Easy enough job to swap out - just need to wait and wait before starting, otherwise a quick job - changed a couple myself without problem  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2016, 18:11:15 »

And these bulbs are hardly robust things to keep just in case one fails. Especially at that price. It was hard enough keeping ordinary H3/4/7 bulbs as stock for roadside jobs; even keeping them in a foam block I often found that they hadn't survived.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2016, 18:35:47 »

Changing the xenon bulbs requires removal of the light unit to be able to reliably remove and refit the torx screws securing the rear cover. Whilst you could do this at the roadside, at home is a much safer proposition  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2016, 18:40:17 »

And these bulbs are hardly robust things to keep just in case one fails. Especially at that price. It was hard enough keeping ordinary H3/4/7 bulbs as stock for roadside jobs; even keeping them in a foam block I often found that they hadn't survived.

I bought a couple around eighteen mons ago from Autobulbs direct, around £75 for the pair IIRC

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2016, 18:54:57 »

I bought a couple around eighteen months ago from Autobulbs direct, around £75 for the pair IIRC

I would have no problems with the price if I had to replace blown ones. But I have never understood the thinking behind buying and carrying a brand new part  just in case the existing used one fails. I can see some justification in keeping the old one as a spare.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2016, 19:26:45 »

If you do buy some, replace your existing ones, and use those as spares.

Xenon lights, like LED and to a lesser extent tungsten, do degrade with use.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2016, 20:56:23 »

If you do buy some, replace your existing ones, and use those as spares.

Xenon lights, like LED and to a lesser extent tungsten, do degrade with use.

Agreed, when you replace them it`s surprising how much difference new bulbs make.

I bought a couple around eighteen months ago from Autobulbs direct, around £75 for the pair IIRC

I would have no problems with the price if I had to replace blown ones. But I have never understood the thinking behind buying and carrying a brand new part  just in case the existing used one fails. I can see some justification in keeping the old one as a spare.

As a bulb that rarely blows I wouldn`t carry one around either, I couldn`t see the point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.