Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cyclists  (Read 1759 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Cyclists
« on: 02 November 2009, 18:38:15 »

Ok, for starters I am an avid cyclist in that I cycle all weathers and times of day and night.  It keeps me fit and burns enough calories for a couple of beers :y

I obey all rules of the road, I am curtious towards other road users, I make sure I use lights even during the day, hi-vis vest and I cycle very very defensively.  I lost my brother and a friend in separate incidents while both were cycling so raod safety is a big thing for me.

But I am getting increasing peeved with other cyclists who flaunt the laws cycling on pavements, riding in the dark without lights, going through red lights..... it really grips my sh!t  >:(

So I have devised a little questionaire as research on the matter.  Results will be hidden till closing.  Looking forward to your opinions :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Cyclists
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2009, 18:39:40 »

Pavements ok if done responsibly
In the event of an accident involving a cyclist the driver of a motor vehicle is accountable
Cyclist running red lights is ok if it doesn't cause any danger to other road users or themselves
Cyclists should pass stationary traffic on the outside like motorcyclists
Wearing of helmets for cyclists should be mandatory

« Last Edit: 02 November 2009, 18:39:51 by tunnie »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2009, 18:43:42 »

maybe a little pavement cycling under right circumstances - could improve safety for all. But too many cyclists will scare pedestrians by being tosspots. Also, opens a whole new opportunity for bag snatchers.

Otherwise, 100% obey road rules like everyone else. As should horse riders.

One last rule, if cyclist knocked down by car due to being a self-centred pillock, the car driver should reverse up, and make sure the job is done properly.
Grumpy old man

HolyCount

« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2009, 18:59:16 »

Pavements ok if done responsibly Vehicles of any sort and pedestrians should be kept apart

In the event of an accident involving a cyclist the driver of a motor vehicle is accountable unless it is the cyclist being a pillock

Cyclist running red lights is ok if it doesn't cause any danger to other road users or themselves of course it's a danger -- that's whty there's a red light !

Cyclists should pass stationary traffic on the outside like motorcyclists .. makes it easier to knock 'em off --- motor cyclists shouldn't do it either!

Wearing of helmets for cyclists should be mandatory Finally --- agreed

A pedestrian knocked over by a cyclist while walking in a cycle lane is a fault unless that cycle lane is part of a shared pathway
« Last Edit: 02 November 2009, 19:00:54 by HolyCount »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2009, 19:01:16 »

I've recently had the 'misfortune' of cycling to work when my car was off the road, interesting to see a mix of very good, and very bad manners towards me.

A pet hate of mine is cyclists not indicating, right or left...ive often sat behind a bike waiting to turn left.....they turn too without indicating, I could have gone round if they indicated.
Maybe they dont due to lack of control with one arm on handlebars, and loss of balance looking round to see who is about....maybe installing indicators would help, just a button to press  :-/ cant see it catching on though (they are available).
Maybe indicators and mirrors compulsory would improve safety for all :-/

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2009, 19:03:58 »

MY vote choices were:
Cyclists should obey all the rules of the road,
Cycling on the pavements is ok if done responsibly,
Cyclists should be held to the same scruteny of motorists,
Wearing of helmets for cyclists should be mandatory,
Cyclists should have 3rd party insurance,
There should be tax breaks to encourage cycling to work

Some good points there Gaffers.

I have allways said, I dont drive on the pavemnts so pedestrians shouldnt walk down the road if the is a pavement, however if a cyclist knocks one down then the same rules apply to road users, who, what was to blame and why did it happen at all. (Cars are not allowed to use cycle lanes)

Insurance is there for a reason, why shouldnt cyclists and horse riders pay to be on the road, if they can make a claim against us, then why cant we claim against them if they are at fault.

80% of cyclists are tawts, low vis gear, think they rule the road, no respect and break all the rules.  I passed my cycling proficiency test at junior school, what's happened to that these days

Are there actually any rules for road using cyclists, especially age of fitness rules.

Gaffers,Ii applaude you for being so conscientious amd you certainly get my vote, but 50% of them I could happily line up and use them for sniper pracrice.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2009, 19:05:19 »

I've recently had the 'misfortune' of cycling to work when my car was off the road, interesting to see a mix of very good, and very bad manners towards me.

A pet hate of mine is cyclists not indicating, right or left...ive often sat behind a bike waiting to turn left.....they turn too without indicating, I could have gone round if they indicated.
Maybe they dont due to lack of control with one arm on handlebars, and loss of balance looking round to see who is about....maybe installing indicators would help, just a button to press  :-/ cant see it catching on though (they are available).
Not reqd - I'm guessing most of us have doen cycling proficiency, those that haven't, and ride a bike, perhaps should.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2009, 19:05:31 »

i ran red lights all the time in London, it can be safe, you just have to be very careful. Done right on the way back from the office, i could do it non-stop.

Infact, turning left on a red was much safter, than being next to a truck when than started to pull of.

In Holland 50cc scooters are allowed on cycle paths, it worked fine.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2009, 19:07:14 »

Pavements - maybe cyclists should ride on pavement until, say 10/12yrs old, then compulsory cycling proficiency.

Hopefully, all the iiresponsible cyclists will end up dead quickly, so problem solved.
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2009, 19:07:18 »

Gaffers,Ii applaude you for being so conscientious amd you certainly get my vote, but 50% of them I could happily line up and use them for sniper pracrice.

only 50%?  Personally I would put at least 70% there lol

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 November 2009, 19:08:29 »

Not reqd - I'm guessing most of us have doen cycling proficiency, those that haven't, and ride a bike, perhaps should.

15-20 years ago when I last rode, I agree.

back on a bike after a long time, with more weight, less confidence, those items would have made me feel a lot safer.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2009, 19:09:31 »

i ran red lights all the time in London, it can be safe, you just have to be very careful. Done right on the way back from the office, i could do it non-stop.

Infact, turning left on a red was much safter, than being next to a truck when than started to pull of.

Is about the only time I would turn a blind eye.

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2009, 19:10:16 »

only 50%?  Personally I would put at least 70% there lol

I was being polite.   ::)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2009, 19:10:19 »

Cyclists should obey all the rules of the road
Cycling on the pavements is ok if done responsibly Cyclists should be held to the same scruteny of motorists
Wearing of helmets for cyclists should be mandatory
Cyclists and motorist should be separated
A pedestrian knocked over by a cyclist while walking in a cycle lane is a fault
« Last Edit: 02 November 2009, 19:12:35 by LSG_1 »
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2009, 19:10:55 »

Is about the only time I would turn a blind eye.

Not me, and as for vehicles that turn left, I keep back and let them turn rather than take the risk for 5 secs of cycling lol
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.