Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The LPG kit has arrived  (Read 11025 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: The LPG kit has arrived
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2010, 16:35:19 »

How close is the tank to the underside of the wheel well though?

Very close. It was tight even getting LPG lines through the bottom of the well on Marie's car. Any mod to the wheel well would certainly require the petrol tank to either be lowered by spaced away from the floor of the car, or the fitting of a smaller tank.

Anyone any good at plastic welding? Just wondering if a "cut and shut" would work. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2010, 12:18:58 »

The tank fitting starts this evening, after work.

Tinleytech have told me it will be delivered today.

My plan is to get all the rear-end stuff and pipe work done, while the fuel tank is still off - then mount the tank, and do the front-end at leisure.

:y

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2010, 12:25:42 »

James...I've got some nice Copex tubing for pipework protection here if you want some??

Probably got about 30ft or so, in grey.
PM me and I'll give you new address, etc.
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 May 2010, 16:03:24 »

Cheers Mike.... for once in my life, I am organised, and I have some protecting sheath for where the gas line may chafe :y

Tank has arrived. Now cannot wait to finish work, and set about making a start on my LPG  :y

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 May 2010, 16:06:11 »

HOORAY!!!

Get into any trouble, mate, just ring me. Free this evening (I Think...) and I'll bring you up whatever.....
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 May 2010, 16:06:13 »

I have given some consideration, to the possibility of a twin tank setup - as Range is really quite important to me.

I found with the 55l capacity before (in the Astra) I was regularly running out and having to use petrol.

Forget load carrying issues (it's not why I have an estate) What would the view be on using a cylinder tank, in conjunction with a donut?

Tinleytech say it's fine, and that the different tank types don't matter. I think all I'd need, would be the non-return T's. Thoughts?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2010, 16:07:26 »

HOORAY!!!

Get into any trouble, mate, just ring me. Free this evening (I Think...) and I'll bring you up whatever.....

You're a Pal :y

I'm only really making a start / pottering about with it, over the evenings - making a filler bracket and such....  it's next weekend, when conversion will be in full swing :y

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2010, 16:12:36 »

JAMES,

spoken to MJR (my local tank makers and fitters) they tell me that you CAN use a twin tank setup, and an electric switchover is used, with 2x non-return valves a-la jag tanks of long ago.
They have used it in a couple of cases, you need a 12v activated A-B tee, available from Pirtek or similar.

they reckon the toroidal tank at 80l and tubular at 80l will give you 135l total capacity, good for a long range!!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2010, 16:14:28 »

JAMES,

spoken to MJR (my local tank makers and fitters) they tell me that you CAN use a twin tank setup, and an electric switchover is used, with 2x non-return valves a-la jag tanks of long ago.
They have used it in a couple of cases, you need a 12v activated A-B tee, available from Pirtek or similar.

they reckon the toroidal tank at 80l and tubular at 80l will give you 135l total capacity, good for a long range!!

Cheers Mike

I'd have thought that the solenoids could just be wired in parallell - the same way the front end and rear end ones are?

Using that method, and the non return T's - the tanks won't be attempting to equalise, and will give a consistent feed to the vaporisor?
 :y

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2010, 16:19:42 »

That makes sense to me, I think thats how I would do it myself, but I would also want some sort of tank level/capacity level too, therefore i would do it like they say, so my car could have two guages/l.e.d levels for reference.
Having said that, if you only had one guage, and wired in parrallel, how would you know which tank was empty?? so perhaps they are right.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2010, 16:27:11 »

That makes sense to me, I think thats how I would do it myself, but I would also want some sort of tank level/capacity level too, therefore i would do it like they say, so my car could have two guages/l.e.d levels for reference.
Having said that, if you only had one guage, and wired in parrallel, how would you know which tank was empty?? so perhaps they are right.

To be honest, I never use fuel level gauges with LPG. They're not the most accurate thing in the world - I tend to base it on mileage :y

As long as the engine can "get the gas" and it's safe, then I'm happy  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2010, 16:30:21 »

To be honest, I never use fuel level gauges with LPG. They're not the most accurate thing in the world - I tend to base it on mileage :y

But are the insurance/LPGA etc
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2010, 16:31:08 »

Course they are - where does COP state the need for a fuel gauge?  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2010, 16:33:22 »

Course they are - where does COP state the need for a fuel gauge?  :y
I was referring to the valve arrangements etc to join the 2...
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2010, 16:33:50 »

Just to add - although you have highlighted that statement... it was referring solely to the fuel level sender configuration.

Trust me - the complete install will comply with LPGA Code of Practice and be totally safe (undoubtedly moreso than some "professional" installs - Danny's old Elite comes to mind!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 17 queries.