Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Towing an uninsured, untaxed, unMOT'd car  (Read 7279 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Towing an uninsured, untaxed, unMOT'd car
« Reply #30 on: 20 August 2011, 22:13:53 »

Perhaps I can assist ??

What do you want towing, from where to where, and when ... as I have a towbar and some experience of towing a heavy(ish) trailer (1600 kgs) .......   :)

An Omega.

Unless you strip a fair bit out of it no Omega will tow another Omega on a trailer legally, and probably not on an A-frame either ... just have a peek at the max train weight limit on the VIN plate .. :(

Still do-able ... just not legal .. :)
« Last Edit: 20 August 2011, 22:14:40 by entwood »

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 August 2011, 22:29:31 »

Someone local with a Supercharged RR?
 :D I wonder who that is?

Yeah, of course I'll help. It does actually have a tow bar with electrics, even has another number plate to attach to the trailer.
I know where it's from, and to...just when?
I'll look up it's towing capacity...but where do you get a 16ft+ trailer from? Isn't the Omega 16.1 ft from memory, so you need a decent size trailer. The Transit beavertail I mentioned doesn't have a big enough bed.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 August 2011, 22:52:15 »

'll look up it's towing capacity...but where do you get a 16ft+ trailer from? Isn't the Omega 16.1 ft from memory, so you need a decent size trailer. The Transit beavertail I mentioned doesn't have a big enough bed.

Nor does it have enough weight capacity to do the job legally. Maximum GVW is going to be 3.5t, and the Transit weighs about 2 of those!

Talking of legally; if you pay a recovery company to do the job, for it to be legal it needs to be done on a vehicle with an O licence and on the tacho, as it's not a breakdown! All of which bumps the price up.

The best way of doing this is using a braked trailer, with an appropriate weight capacity, and tow it behind a Discovery, Range Rover, Transit, Daily  or Sprinter, as they're all legal to do so. That's if you're not going to pay for it to be done properly of course!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 August 2011, 00:16:50 »

The local place to me hires out trailers for £30+VAT per day and he has  all shapes and sizes. Certainly big enough to take an Omega and, with a RR to tow it, you don't need to worry about the weight. 1700kg of Omega plus about 500 for the trailer, and the trailers are all twin axle braked affairs.

To be frank, even if I was going to tow it with an Omega I'd go for an overweight braked trailer before an A frame with an uninsured, untaxed, unbraked car on it.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 August 2011, 01:47:35 »

Im pretty sure it has to have tax/insurance/mot and a lightboard if towed with an A frame. :-/
Yep, An A-frame attachment to any motor vehicle, legally can only be used to recover broken down vehicles to a place of safety, nothing else, and said vehicle must be roadworthy in the sense of having tax/mot/ins.

That doesn't include towing broken down vehicles from a place of safety.

So what about all the campervans going around towing Smartcars etc on A-Frames then?  :-? :-/

Also, I don't understand why if towing another car with an A-frame, it has to have tax/mot/ins..... After all there are some big caravans and trailers out there that don't have any!  :-/ and how many get checked for roadworthyness??  ::)

That's not a rant by the way, just a genuine query!! :y Maybe, I'm abit confused given the lateness of the hour..... :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 August 2011, 06:51:53 »

Someone local with a Supercharged RR?
 :D I wonder who that is?

Yeah, of course I'll help. It does actually have a tow bar with electrics, even has another number plate to attach to the trailer.
I know where it's from, and to...just when?
I'll look up it's towing capacity...but where do you get a 16ft+ trailer from? Isn't the Omega 16.1 ft from memory, so you need a decent size trailer. The Transit beavertail I mentioned doesn't have a big enough bed.

If you intend towing this lot Josh, do have the entitlement on your licence? As you passed your test since 97, and it'll weigh more than 3500kg you'll need ................ er?  :-/

albitz

« Reply #36 on: 21 August 2011, 06:57:22 »

Im pretty sure it has to have tax/insurance/mot and a lightboard if towed with an A frame. :-/
Yep, An A-frame attachment to any motor vehicle, legally can only be used to recover broken down vehicles to a place of safety, nothing else, and said vehicle must be roadworthy in the sense of having tax/mot/ins.

So what about all the campervans going around towing Smartcars etc on A-Frames then?  :-? :-/

Also, I don't understand why if towing another car with an A-frame, it has to have tax/mot/ins..... After all there are some big caravans and trailers out there that don't have any!  :-/ and how many get checked for roadworthyness??  ::)

That's not a rant by the way, just a genuine query!! :y Maybe, I'm abit confused given the lateness of the hour..... :-X

Im pretty sure that "towing to a place of safety" only applies on motorways.
The reason that a car being towed needs to be road legal and caravans etc. dont is that A car is constructed as a motor vehicle and therefore must be taxed/insured/mot,d if its wheels are on a public highway.

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 August 2011, 10:41:08 »

the smart car will more than likely have all documentation and be road legal and ready for use on the campsite when they get there., so that will be legal providing it's within the weight limits etc.

The towed car on an a frame needs tax/insuance/mot for obvious reasons, it's a mechanically propelled vehicle on a public highway. It would need it if it's travelling under its own steam, stationary and parked up, or being towed.

I have heard that if the engine is removed from a vehicle, then it is no longer a vehicle, hence does not need insurance etc to be towed. Don't know if this is just an urban myth though. Probably only useful to breakers as you wouldn't want to take the engine out just to tow it! Need to check the law on thta one.

Caravans and trailers are (or should be) covered by the towing vehicles insurance. You are supposed to provide details of the trailer to the insurance company to be legal.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 August 2011, 17:22:42 »

If you intend towing this lot Josh, do have the entitlement on your licence? As you passed your test since 97, and it'll weigh more than 3500kg you'll need ................ er?  :-/

Valid point.  :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 August 2011, 18:09:09 »

He may not, but TB has and could be the driver ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 August 2011, 18:11:59 »

Also have to catch a copper on a very bad day to stop a car with valid insurance, towing a car correctly on a trailer, safley, with a driver with a license with no points, but just happends to be a couple of years too young  :-/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 August 2011, 18:24:07 »

question is....whats the project?  :D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 August 2011, 18:27:23 »

question is....whats the project?  :D

I know  :D

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 August 2011, 18:31:43 »

not a minifacelift from the gallery by any chance?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 August 2011, 18:33:27 »

Also have to catch a copper on a very bad day to stop a car with valid insurance, towing a car correctly on a trailer, safley, with a driver with a license with no points, but just happends to be a couple of years too young  :-/

That's just my point! :-? :-? If he was towing over 3.5 tonnes he wouldn't have a valid licence for the job in hand. It'd be like producing your normal licence when stopped driving an HGV!
And if he didn't have the appropiate licence, he wouldn't have insurance. And it's nothing to do with being too young!  :-? :-?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.