Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3123263 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #12045 on: 17 February 2016, 20:50:31 »

Yesterday I pressed the drivers leccy window button in the battlebus and regretted it  :(

There was a the sound of something breaking so immediately took my finger off the switch but the poxy VW window controller kept going and dragged the front of the window down into the door.

I was on my way home having just taken my 18 month old daughter to see my 1 day old daughter for the first time in hospital. 20 miles home on a cold dark night with the drivers window half open wasn't nice but fortunately Twiglet seemed to find it amusing.

Glass is now wedged in the closed position with some bits of wood until I can do a proper repair.

Today I had the pleasure of operating the parking barriers at the hospital without being able to open the window..........
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12046 on: 17 February 2016, 21:42:26 »

Yesterday I pressed the drivers leccy window button in the battlebus and regretted it  :(

There was a the sound of something breaking so immediately took my finger off the switch but the poxy VW window controller kept going and dragged the front of the window down into the door.

I was on my way home having just taken my 18 month old daughter to see my 1 day old daughter for the first time in hospital. 20 miles home on a cold dark night with the drivers window half open wasn't nice but fortunately Twiglet seemed to find it amusing.

Glass is now wedged in the closed position with some bits of wood until I can do a proper repair.

Today I had the pleasure of operating the parking barriers at the hospital without being able to open the window..........

Window regulator cable has broken.
Common problem, I have done lots of roadside 'repairs' to them by wedging the dropglass back in place with folded paper.

You can buy the bits to fix it, but a complete new, ready to fit regulator isn't much more and requires far less anglo-saxon  to fit.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12047 on: 17 February 2016, 22:25:19 »

Window regulator cable has broken.
Common problem, I have done lots of roadside 'repairs' to them by wedging the dropglass back in place with folded paper.

You can buy the bits to fix it, but a complete new, ready to fit regulator isn't much more and requires far less anglo-saxon  to fit.
Thanks for that.
I had the door card off last night and (using a torch and mirror) was able to see that a cable had detached from the piece of plastic the lifts the rear of the glass. I could also see that there were lots of plastic components so if one has gone brittle through age (the car is 14 years old) then they are probably all ready to fail  :-\
The initial cause may have been sticky window runners. I suppose I'll need to spend some time with a nailbrush and soapy water getting the crap out of the felt in the window runners.

05omegav6

« Reply #12048 on: 17 February 2016, 23:38:44 »

Modified the scuttle foam. Permanently. Vaguely assisted Nick with the cambelt change and cleaned the breather bridge and throttle body before changing the plugs...

135, all perfect... 246, all flooded to the brim. Just in time... No misfire codes and contact springs bone dry within the boots, so simply dried the wells out before swapping the plugs out. Plugs were all Gm, but potentially 14 years old :-\ new quads fitted and all finished off with fresh coolant.

Thanks again to Nick for his efforts :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12049 on: 18 February 2016, 17:36:20 »

Not related to car, but related to OOF, order some more electricity following yesterday's SNAFU.
Said electricity fitted, should be enough to tide us over next time the ol' bag uses the iron.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12050 on: 18 February 2016, 17:38:18 »

Completely ignored the brake fluid warning light for the 2nd day running.
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12051 on: 18 February 2016, 18:08:34 »

<Pedant mode on>You posted it on here so you haven't completely ignored it............ <Pedant Off>

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12052 on: 18 February 2016, 18:09:54 »

<Pedant mode on>You posted it on here so you haven't completely ignored it............ <Pedant Off>
True. The light was annoying, so caught me eye more than once. Then I ignored it ;D. Job for the weekend, due to CBA
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #12053 on: 19 February 2016, 02:52:51 »

Broke it :'( Namely the black one and specifically had a nsf blowout following running over some debris a few miles previously.

This wouldn't have been a big deal, but being the front, a 15" spare will barely clear the disc, let alone the caliper :-X so had to change two wheels at the side of the A3...

Which was nice. Not. >:(

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12054 on: 19 February 2016, 14:52:10 »

Removed more parts from the 2.6, it's looking rather sad now.  :'(

Changed alternator and battery on the project / daily run around  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #12055 on: 19 February 2016, 15:06:29 »

How not to change a tyre...

::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12056 on: 19 February 2016, 15:18:43 »

Been there myself, I particularly liked the bit where I grabbed the wheel to remove it and lots of tiny wires stuck in my fingers.  ::) ;D  Mine was a rear tyre so quite un-dramatic really.  :y

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Spally

• Wisbech, Cambridgeshir.
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12057 on: 19 February 2016, 15:20:00 »

Today on my 2.2 I've changed the rocker cover gasket and removed the exhaust front downpipe and manifold. The manifold is cracked and now every stud at the downpipe end has snapped so it ain't going back on now. Fortunately none of the head end studs have snapped. All I have to do is find the correct manifold and hope the downpipe is the correct one because the manifold isn't. 😠

05omegav6

« Reply #12058 on: 19 February 2016, 17:49:15 »

Been there myself, I particularly liked the bit where I grabbed the wheel to remove it and lots of tiny wires stuck in my fingers.  ::) ;D  Mine was a rear tyre so quite un-dramatic really.  :y
Nsf, from lane two with a Range Rover next door... Was trying to slow down/move over as I felt it start to break up... But the idiott kept slowing with me... >:( in the end a good blast of the horn and the car flying left as the tyre let go finally sunk in and he put his foot down ;D

Not sure I would want to be in one of those with a low flying Omega in the side of it ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12059 on: 20 February 2016, 09:53:39 »

This wouldn't have been a big deal, but being the front, a 15" spare will barely clear the disc, let alone the caliper :-X so had to change two wheels at the side of the A3...
So what have you learnt from this*

* Using the management bullshit I have to use on a daily basis and pretend I believe in and agree with, just because I'm on school report for suggesting otherwise.
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.