Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: complete newbie with large engine problem *update*  (Read 5758 times)

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
complete newbie with large engine problem *update*
« on: 22 November 2006, 17:36:18 »

Just would like to say thanks to everyone that posted before. You have all been a great help.

Well the update is that i have had the car droppped home and had n independant mechanic look at it. He has pointed the finger at the garage where i got it fixed originally. Went out and took some photos of what he described as "shoddy workmanship". It would appear to do witht ht etiming cover rubber and that half of it is inside the timing cover. So i re approched the garge that fitted the belt kit this evening and one mech piped up and said "its not uncommen for these to throw a valve" I thought myself at the time i was just getting fobbed off i mean is this a common thing?????? I would love to know

ok fist time i have tried to post pics but here goes.

ok this is the left bank where the rubber is visible.

And on the right bank (passenger side) the rubber has dissapeared into the cam cover.

Im guessing that this may be at least part of the reason that the can belt has failed.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2006, 17:39:35 by bexandpower »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: complete newbie with large engine problem *upd
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2006, 17:40:28 »

Throw a valve....the guys a fool, give him a slap and shout 'fool' at him.

Thats disgraceful workmanship, I hope its not slipped the belt a tooth or two......still they are liable given the awful quality of the work done.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2006, 17:40:54 by Mark »

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2006, 17:44:18 »

Thats disgraceful workmanship, I hope its not slipped the belt a tooth or two......still they are liable given the awful quality of the work done.

Trust me i wanted to. The belt has slipped thats why i was getting a terrible nocking sound from the engine looks like my valves are f**ed. I hop e they are liable and that they actually hold their hands up and be honest about it but i can't see them volunteering for 2 days work and an engine strip

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
I like red cars

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2006, 18:01:49 »

So do you guys think that the theory that the rubber has got caught in the cam workings is plausable?

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2006, 18:04:52 »

So i take it chances that it has just "thrown a valve" are pretty remote yeah?

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2006, 20:23:51 »

Very remote, These engines are one of the best and super reliable, Take the mechanic outside and slap him until he admits he is wrong  :y

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2006, 21:32:02 »

One of the moments where you wish that life was a movie and you Steven seagal walking in the mechanics shop being told that these engine throw a valve or two and then there is a blur and the sound of bones snapping.
Idiots, they try to get away by bulshiting the customer. spanermonkeys. Please whatever you do do not let them touch the engine again, ask them to give you compensation.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2006, 22:00:54 »

the engines are bombproof on omegas particularly the v6 unless of course you fix them in a cowboy fashion - these guys clearly have  >:(.

Take further legal advice and speak to someone higher up at the garage. To be honest a monkey would be progression from the fool that worked on your car.

Keep us all posted  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2006, 22:46:14 »

Get some advice from Trading Standards or Citizens Advice, you will need evidence of the damage and likely cause to prove negligence so see if your independant mechanics word would be acceptable, perhaps get him to dismantle it and write a report, including photos at each stage of dismantling and showing the cam timing marks when the crank is at TDC. A video would be even better.

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2006, 22:51:38 »

Trust me i wanted to. The belt has slipped thats why i was getting a terrible nocking sound from the engine looks like my valves are f**ed. I hop e they are liable and that they actually hold their hands up and be honest about it but i can't see them volunteering for 2 days work and an engine strip

Sorry to hear of your problems mate , the guys at this garage sound like a right bunch of BARSTEWARDS!! >:( >:(

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2006, 22:54:54 »

Get some advice from Trading Standards or Citizens Advice, you will need evidence of the damage and likely cause to prove negligence so see if your independant mechanics word would be acceptable, perhaps get him to dismantle it and write a report, including photos at each stage of dismantling and showing the cam timing marks when the crank is at TDC. A video would be even better.

If the garage is a member of a trade assocaition, contact them first.

Also try:

http://www.rmif.co.uk/consumers.aspx
http://www.rmif.co.uk/association.aspx?id=2

If you go to 'Find a Service', you should be able to tell if the garage is listed with RMIF.

« Last Edit: 22 November 2006, 22:55:38 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2006, 23:42:34 »

One of the moments where you wish that life was a movie and you Steven seagal walking in the mechanics shop being told that these engine throw a valve or two and then there is a blur and the sound of bones snapping.
Idiots, they try to get away by bulshiting the customer. spanermonkeys. Please whatever you do do not let them touch the engine again, ask them to give you compensation.

yeah was wshing for  jet li moment lol Well gonna try whatever i can to get this fixed asap

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2006, 23:44:30 »

Would be nice although nice mr independant want £300 +VAT to do that

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2006, 23:48:58 »

If the garage is a member of a trade assocaition, contact them first.

Also try:

http://www.rmif.co.uk/consumers.aspx
http://www.rmif.co.uk/association.aspx?id=2

If you go to 'Find a Service', you should be able to tell if the garage is listed with RMIF.

So if they are a member they will have certain codes of conduct to adhere to then?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.