Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Some drivers need slapping!  (Read 4427 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Some drivers need slapping!
« on: 27 September 2007, 08:09:14 »

Driving down the A48 (M) dual carraigeway this morning, I came across the most annoying driver.

He was in the outside lane (of 2) doing about 67mph. No other traffic about. I Was moving slightly quicker than him. Came up behind him, in the same lane, keeping a reasonable distance away, expecting him to move over. After a bit he didn't, so still keeping a safe distance, gave him a quick flash of the lights.

No response from him - he just kept hogging the outside lane at 65mph.

Flash lights again briefly, nothing, so tap horn. He turns to look in his mirror.. "ah ha, he's seen me" I think, expecting him to move over.

Did he heck - he remained hogging the outside lane, but put his windscreen washers on, constantly, soaking my screen.

I keep following at a safe distance, waiting for him to move over. And what does he do? absolutely hammer on his brakes, for no reason at all. Obviously it didn't cause any accidents, because I was following at a safe gap. I had to react fast though, and his ABS was definately working!

After he did this, he finally pulled over into the inside lane, so I took my opportunity, and overtook him as quickly as I could.

What does he do? Put his foot down, to try and prevent me passing. I have nearly twice the engine size of his Focus, so I drop down a gear and pass him anyway.

Once I was a safe gap in front of him, I pulled into the nearside lane, at which point he approached me from behind at breakneck speed, and proceeded to sit on my bumper, flashing his lights repeatedly.

He then kept up this behaviour for about 5 minutes, until he pulled onto a sliproad and beggared off.

Some people should just not be on the road, I did nothing aggressive (and nothing that could be percieved as agressive) to cause his reactions,

I wonder if some people just get kicks out of behaving like this?  :'(

I was tempted to report to the police, but I was concentrating too much on staying safe to get his reg no, so I doubt it's much point.

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
Re: Some drivers need slapping!
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2007, 08:16:42 »

You do get them i'm afraid James >:(
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2007, 08:28:29 »

If you travel the road frequently you'll probably see him again. Report him then:y

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2007, 08:31:20 »

thats because he belongs to the "im driving at the speed limit therefore nobody could possibly want to overtake because that would be illegal"brigade. what a pillock, idiot,moron.delete or add as required

ricardo1500

• Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2007, 08:37:05 »

What an arse ....some people just dont deserve thier licence

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2007, 08:56:16 »

It's times like that when you would love to be an undercover traffic cop ;)

Quick flash of the old blue lights and pull the bugger  ;D

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2007, 09:18:31 »

I vote for retest - would be a benefit of everyone having cameras recording in cars - such situations would be caught and tried via retesting.

The a slap for failing it  ;D
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2007, 09:47:33 »

What a tosser - you should have driven like a traffic cop - he may then have paniced and got out of the way

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2007, 09:49:48 »

Oh and get his reg no. A real traffic Policeman would be interested (I used to know a Gloucestershire one from a preserved railway both members of) and they take things like this VERY seriously (unlike the call centres).

If you see one on the same route - stop and mention it to him and explain why.

omegaman2

• Omega Knight
  • Kilsyth, Glasgow G65
  • cruise , tints, shinbuster,advanced drinking test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2007, 09:57:47 »

arrogant tosser,and its usually the inocent party that comes off worse >:(
dieseldonicely

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2007, 10:09:49 »

Unfortunately James, this kind of bad driving is very common these days. >:( I have to say I get REALLY frustrated when I come across this kind of behaviour and don't have much time for it. If the road ahead is clear and they won't move to the inside lane I keep my right hand indicator on for a while and give an quick flash. If they still sit there I'm afraid it's a case of hitting the S button and undertaking the bug*ers.

Now I know there's some that will say that's dangerous and makes me as bad as them but sorry, I'm past caring these days. I just cannot tolerate these inconsiderate, arrogant idiots. >:( >:(
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2007, 10:37:13 »

Unfortunately James, this kind of bad driving is very common these days. >:( I have to say I get REALLY frustrated when I come across this kind of behaviour and don't have much time for it. If the road ahead is clear and they won't move to the inside lane I keep my right hand indicator on for a while and give an quick flash. If they still sit there I'm afraid it's a case of hitting the S button and undertaking the bug*ers.
Now I know there's some that will say that's dangerous and makes me as bad as them but sorry, I'm past caring these days. I just cannot tolerate these inconsiderate, arrogant idiots. >:( >:(

Me too im afraid.... :y :-[
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2007, 11:05:34 »

Not so long back Mrs DaveL and I were in a well known place that has a lot of Golf courses near to us. Came upon a roundabout, overgrown with vegetation so you cannot see across to see if any one is on the other side or entering roundabout. Just started to enter roundabout when this Merc SLK wipes round the roundabout in front of me, well in excess of the 30 mph speed limit. I emergency brake and gently hit the megas horn. The Merc takes next exit, we carry on our way, see in rear view mirror SLK turning quickly in car park and chasing me down road. Other car right on bumper, so close I lost its number plate in the rear mirror. The other driver then overtakes on a blind bend hitting his horn and flashing his lights.

I thought o.k. get ready for his brake lights to come on, but no he carries on at the speed limit. I think he had other things on his mind as Mrs DaveL was on the mobile reporting him to the Police for his aggressive and inconsiderate driving.

Merc does a turn off and I carry on my way.

Police interview the idiot and gets a verbal warning from them. We get a lot of 'money' up here and tourists who sometimes do not realise what side of the road to drive on. Just hope the Merc driver has learnt his lesson and does not hurt any one. Suppose if he prang his car he will just go out and get another. As I said we have 'money' up here.  :-[

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2007, 11:17:57 »

Me too im afraid.... :y :-[

Ditto! I give them plenty of chance and try to ask them politley, by a quick flash of the lights. If all else fails undertake.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2007, 11:55:25 »

Lane discipline is a great idea in theory, but it simply doesn't work in this country. It's a system that requires most drivers to obey the rules otherwise it's a waste of time, and certainly on the roads I drive on I'd say a majority of drivers don't return to the left lane when they should. Personally I always move to the left lane unless I'm overtaking or waiting on someone else to complete an overtake after which I intend to overtake that person, but I definitely feel like I'm in the minority, especially on 3 or 4 lane motorways.

I think it's about time we should abopt the US system, where you're still supposed to move to the inside lane (right lane over there) unless overtaking, but you're allowed to overtake in any lane. That way we suddenly remove the satisfaction such idiots get from holding up traffic, if they're sitting doing 60 in lane 2 then just move to lane 1 and go past, perfectly legally. Yes there are additional risks involved, in that drivers will actually have to look before switching lanes (heaven forbid), but I'd balance that against the dangers caused by drivers getting irate due to middle lane morons blocking the road.

Personally I just give them a little time to react, and if they don't budge I'll just overtake in whatever lane is available. No drama, no frustration. I would like to see a much more proactive approach to enforcing lane discipline however -- if we're going to continue to stick with the "no undertaking" rule then we have to ensure that it actually works, and that means people not overtaking should be in the left hand lane. Otherwise the whole thing is a waste of time and we might as well revert to the US system mentioned above.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.