Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Cat,s Die  (Read 2323 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Do Cat,s Die
« on: 04 December 2007, 15:48:13 »

Had the light back on the dash and had it checked out and told that the cat, s where showing low efficiency on bank 1 and 2. They then chack the emission at they where fine. Just to check it any one has had this before and if it could be the 02,s playing up as they seem to do on this 3.2 V6. The guy told me that the cats should be good for the life of the car and as it does 95% M way driving and not driven hard.

Any help please.  

Thanks      
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • 2001 Cadillac Catera SPT
    • View Profile
Re: Do Cat,s Die
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2007, 17:28:07 »

Ummm I may be wrong but I think that this belongs to the TECHNICAL Forum...  :y  you might get more help there...
2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2007, 18:52:38 »

Had the light back on the dash and had it checked out and told that the cat, s where showing low efficiency on bank 1 and 2. They then chack the emission at they where fine. Just to check it any one has had this before and if it could be the 02,s playing up as they seem to do on this 3.2 V6. The guy told me that the cats should be good for the life of the car and as it does 95% M way driving and not driven hard.

Any help please.  

Thanks      
Yes, cats do die.  If its ever had a misfire, they may well be shot.  Then again, it could be lamdas...
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2007, 19:17:28 »

Any help please.  

Thanks      
Yes, cats do die.  If its ever had a misfire, they may well be shot.  Then again, it could be lamdas...

Funny that they're saying both cats are playing up at the same time :-/ Makes me think something else might be throwing out the fuelling, especially as an emissions test shows it to be OK.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2007, 21:21:31 »

bad lambdas, spark plugs, DIS even oil additives can cook CATS ..

But when I de-cat , I examined inside and seems not very easy to clog or become bad  :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2007, 08:24:20 »

They dont die unless damaged......

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2007, 08:35:43 »

Or Mark leaves em in the water butt for too long  ::)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2007, 09:22:43 »

Car seems to run fine no missing and same MPG :-/

was thinking 02 as i think that i would be right in saying that the cats do not have a sensor in them. So i am thinking that the post and pre 02,s are the only way that they ecu would know how things are working with the cats.?    
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2007, 09:45:08 »

Is that how you tell whether they're punctured? :D
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2007, 09:58:27 »

Is that how you tell whether they're punctured? :D

Its only a reliable indicator they've been caught crapping in his garden  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2007, 10:41:02 »

Car seems to run fine no missing and same MPG :-/

was thinking 02 as i think that i would be right in saying that the cats do not have a sensor in them. So i am thinking that the post and pre 02,s are the only way that they ecu would know how things are working with the cats.?    

The cat itself has nothing clever in it. It's just a honeycomb of materials which act as a catalyst in the breaking down of exhaust gases.

The pre-cat Lambda sensor is there to control the fuel mixture the engine burns. It provides the right conditions for the cat to work by controlling the engine's mixture to provide the right balance of gases in the exhaust. It's not affected by the cat and doesn't detect what the cat is doing.

The post-cat Lambda sensor is what aims to detect the cat's efficiency. It's there to ensure that the small amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas before the cat, is removed by the cat in the course of doing its' job. It also tells the engine management system when the cat starts working, so the engine management system can employ techniques to warm the cat more rapidly from cold.

The post cat Lambda sensor doesn't affect engine running, it's only there to ensure that an emissions failure resulting in the cat being ineffective is picked up by an EML. Ironically, these are less reliable than the cats they're monitoring. I suspect the exhaust gases are sufficiently cooled by the time they reach this part of the system that harmful deposits don't get burned off them (despite the fact that they have internal heaters so the sensor element actually operates red hot).

I guess you've got an issue with the post cat sensors (odd that they both misbehave at once, though) or that the emissions from the cats do go outside limits under some operating conditions for another reason (thus lighting the EML) but that the emissions are fine during MOT test conditions (idle and fast idle).

A few people with 3.2s have issues with these sensors. I have had the same once, when the contaminated fuel scare was on in february but it has not recurred. It would be interesting to get a tech2 on one of these cars and watch the live data to see what is going outside limits and when.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2007, 10:57:48 »

Thank,s Kevin

Thats a great write up and i am thinking the post 02 could be the prob, one has been replaced in the last few months.

Thanks

Steve.    

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2007, 11:25:45 »

If you can get access to an ultrasonic cleaning bath, remove the sensors and give them a clean.....

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2007, 11:32:52 »

Hi

Would you know of anywhere that would do that.Or is there any other way of cleaning them,

Thanks  :y

Steve.  

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2007, 12:07:51 »

I keep meaning to buy one...they are only about 25 quid.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.