Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel price protests on BBC news  (Read 3158 times)

Martin_1962

Re: Fuel price protests on BBC news
« Reply #45 on: 13 November 2007, 13:38:48 »

The blockades could be back again

www.transaction-2007.com

I use my wifes little Rover Diesel to travel the country now. I used to use the Omega but that eats into my profit so I keep it so I can use something comfy at weekends. I cant put my prices up or the councils I do work for will just use someone local to them. The Rover is ok for short journeys but is noisy. I will be more than happy to protest and blockade. :(

Join the LPG revolution Pete! :y
I intend to Martin, My first Omega was LPG and I converted the Range Rover I had after that. But I can see LPG going the same way as petrol after all look whats happened to Diesel now its become so popular :(

Same answer as before - heating gas and transfer pump

It'll be no different to diesel, they can put in tracers to stop you using heating fuel if they deem it necessary.

One oil major is taking the situation seriously and looking back technologically looking at ethanol based fuels (V Power Diesel is a blend) from grain etc, which is sustainable, as Mr Ford intended when he brought out the dual fuel Model T.

Personally have no fears of the oil disapearing in my lifetime but the greed exhibited by the government is beyond reproach especially as they have ensured that it is the only major fossil based fuel industry we have left.

To use public transport costs twice the amount of fuel I use for commuting, busses are so badly maintained you cannot see the back of them for smoke and they take twice as long to get anywhere as well as causing chaos jumping in and out of their bus lanes.

As a motorist you are probably providing the government with more tax pounds that any other private group. Tey need to remember who pays their wages and if the only way to do so is to bring the country to a standstill then it is a case of support it or shut up and stop moaning about it.

Sorry about the rant,

Steve

By the way I'm glad to see that caravaning once again gets negative press in a totally unrelated discussion!

You can't dip the tank

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 November 2007, 14:29:18 »

Im going to take up ballooning again ::)
Retired

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 November 2007, 14:32:43 »

Im going to take up ballooning again ::)

Was this you then Pete?

Doesn't look like an Elite.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 13 November 2007, 14:34:39 by martin_saint »
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 November 2007, 14:45:55 »

[/quote]

You can't dip the tank[/quote]

No but you can test the gas. The easiest way is to do the same as they do to the gas supplied from the mains system in that they add odour to the gas so that you know it is there if a leak occurs but it can still be smelt at the exhaust of a boiler.

It is all accademic anyway, if you want to drive you will pay for the pleasure, just be thankfull that performance/big engines have a reasonable MPG capability.

Steve

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 November 2007, 15:05:53 »

Of course you could all give up your gas guzzlers and get Smart cars or similar!!

There was a potentially interesting programme on TV last night about congestion on roads etc. They made the point that pricing wasn't a bad thing so long as the government DIDN'T use it as a method of extracting more tax. They briefly showed the model they used to calculate the guinea pigs weekly charges for the programme. It was based on the government version. Interestingly even rural roads were charged at 0.5 p a mile!!

It is coming to Manchester in return for government money to fund the trams/metro.

One other thought, how long before LPG price starts to creep up??!!

varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 November 2007, 15:26:13 »

so long as the government DIDN'T use it as a method of extracting more tax

There's the catch. The government need to raise more tax. They can't justify a blatant tax rise because they're not achieving anything with the money so they can't resist the urge to incorporate a little tax hike in everything they meddle with.  >:(

Fuel duty is a pretty reasonable tax on vehicle usage. It's easy to enforce, difficult to circumvent and is directly based on choice of vehicle and usage of that vehicle.

Road pricing is a gimmick someone has sold the government with all sorts of promises attached. The fact is, deploying it nationwide would require a large IT system to be commissioned by the government. We know where that'll end. An expensive disaster.

If a city gets a spangly new public transport system that works, congestion charging can be used to locally apply a  loading to vehicle use as it does in London, although in practice a decent public transport system will sell itself - not that we've ever seen one in this country.

Of course you could all give up your gas guzzlers and get Smart cars or similar!!

You'd see me driving around on my dad's sit-on mower before I get behind the wheel of a Smart.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #51 on: 13 November 2007, 16:37:23 »

You'd see me driving around on my dad's sit-on mower before I get behind the wheel of a Smart.

Kevin

Depends on the mower!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 November 2007, 17:46:28 »

Depends on the mower!

Well, it's got about 8hp IIRC, so about the same as a Smart. The transmission shifts a lot easier. You just have to stop and graunch it into the next gear. Sounds a bit more like it's got a real engine under the bonnet too, not a sewing machine.

It's a slightly more "al fresco" driving experience, but I'm used to that.

;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 13 November 2007, 18:32:27 »

We don't know how to protest properly in this country.

We are all guilty of being a bunch of wusses.
Growing old disgracefully...

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13 November 2007, 18:39:44 »

We don't know how to protest properly in this country.

We are all guilty of being a bunch of wusses.

Agreed, you wuss!  ;D
[size=24]        [/size][/b]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.