Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows steaming up  (Read 2494 times)

smithpa7

Windows steaming up
« on: 21 December 2010, 12:46:51 »

Firstly apologies for bringing this subject up. I know it has been covered before.
Whenever it is cold my windows steam up, and even with the blowers on it never really clears the windscreen :( :(

I have checked that my scuttle is clear. The pollen filter is dry. I checked all of the carpets and they are bone dry.
I have even taken the spare wheel out of the well and lifted the load cover up to ensure there is airflow. To no avail. I do have the climate set on auto.

Could this be a climate control fault? I can have ice cold air or hot air whenever I require it.
I was wondering if there is a drain pipe that dumps the moisture out of the cab onto the ground and maybe that freezes?

Please help. It is making the car, almost unusable :'( :'( :'(

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
Re: Windows steaming up
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2010, 13:04:11 »

I would change the pollen filter to start with as it seems it does not take much to reduce the airflow through them :y

smithpa7

« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2010, 13:55:41 »

I would change the pollen filter to start with as it seems it does not take much to reduce the airflow through them :y
Thanks Charlie. It was changed about two months ago.

cleggy

« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2010, 14:26:30 »

I am having the same problem with my estate, it is fine first thing, and clears fine, it stays clear with continuous running with the CC at 21, and on auto. The problem occurs after stopping for a short while, all the windows mist over after getting back in the car. The only way to clear it is with the CC on full, and demist, and opening a window for a short while until it clears. It is fine after that, or until one stops again for a short while.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2010, 14:35:01 »

I am having the same problem with my estate, it is fine first thing, and clears fine, it stays clear with continuous running with the CC at 21, and on auto. The problem occurs after stopping for a short while, all the windows mist over after getting back in the car. The only way to clear it is with the CC on full, and demist, and opening a window for a short while until it clears. It is fine after that, or until one stops again for a short while.
You can try this. First switch on Auto mode, switch-on the air recirculation by pressing the button A once (3 round arrows will be indicated, without "A" in the middle). Now the ECC will recognize the correct flap position. Wait 1-2 s and then switch-off the air recirculation by pressing the button A again.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

cleggy

« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2010, 15:16:55 »

Cheers Rob I will try that :)

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2010, 19:19:51 »

I had the same problem.

Tried one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170567493333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and it solved the problem.
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

smithpa7

« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2010, 19:31:37 »

[You can try this. First switch on Auto mode, switch-on the air recirculation by pressing the button A once (3 round arrows will be indicated, without "A" in the middle). Now the ECC will recognize the correct flap position. Wait 1-2 s and then switch-off the air recirculation by pressing the button A again.
[/quote]

Rob, I have just done this. SWMBO has gone out Xmas shopping. I will let you know if it works. Thank you for the advice :y :y
« Last Edit: 21 December 2010, 19:32:07 by smithpa7 »

smithpa7

« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2010, 19:33:20 »

I had the same problem.

Tried one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170567493333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and it solved the problem.

Steve, if Rob's trick doesn't work.I am going to buy the de-humidifier bags. Many Thanks. :y :y

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2010, 21:39:54 »

You may need to check that the condensation taken out of the cabin air can drain away.  If it is trapped it will re-evaporate and get in the airflow.
Another problem I had with the Senator was a leaking heater matrix.  I guess the Omega is similar?
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

smithpa7

« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2010, 06:38:07 »

[You can try this. First switch on Auto mode, switch-on the air recirculation by pressing the button A once (3 round arrows will be indicated, without "A" in the middle). Now the ECC will recognize the correct flap position. Wait 1-2 s and then switch-off the air recirculation by pressing the button A again.

Rob, I have just done this. SWMBO has gone out Xmas shopping. I will let you know if it works. Thank you for the advice :y :y[/quote]
The car is still steaming up. I think I will buy a de-humidifier bag for the car.

smithpa7

« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2010, 06:41:07 »

You may need to check that the condensation taken out of the cabin air can drain away.  If it is trapped it will re-evaporate and get in the airflow.
Another problem I had with the Senator was a leaking heater matrix.  I guess the Omega is similar?
Chris, thank you for the advice. Do you or anyone on the forum know where the moisture taken out of the cabin drains too?

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2010, 12:04:39 »

Chris, thank you for the advice. Do you or anyone on the forum know where the moisture taken out of the cabin drains too?

I think that under normal circumstances (without AC or climate on) the moist air is distributed out of the vents at the back of the car on the left and right hand side of load area (estate) or boot (car). Make sure these areas are clear.
Also, as said above, try the procedure with the air recirculation button - it worked for me. :y
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2010, 13:38:27 »

Not exactly.  It usually falls on the road towards the rear of the gearbox.  If I find the definitive answer I'll let you know.
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2010, 13:59:37 »

Check the vents at the rear of the car (in the driver's side cubby hole in the boot on a saloon, not sure about the estate) to ensure that the air that's blowing into the car can escape again at the back.

Also, have a look up from inside the passenger footwell to see that the recirculation flap is not stuck open. You should be able to see it open/close in response to the recirc button.

Finally, check all the carpet areas for damp in case there's a leak. Check the scuttle drain is clear as well.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 17 queries.