Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheapo tech 2 code readers  (Read 2915 times)

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
Cheapo tech 2 code readers
« on: 14 July 2008, 18:48:07 »

Hi guys read much stuff about these so a while back bought one off ebay called Opel Tech thought I would try using it on my own cars if ever I have a fault etc plus couple of family members have Vx other models even an Agila Aghh o'well well it has a prob so tried the Opel Tech thingy connected to my laptop  and got the message No echo  so then tried it on one of my Miggys & again No echo, I know its rubbish software but is there anything I need to do other than connect it & run the engine ? as there settings for it as numerous boxes with numbers in . Is there anyone got one of these things  to work :-[ its usb & connects to port com 3 which is what I have done, i contacted a couple of guys who bought them on ebay similar time as when I did as yet no replies as to if there's worked...

Fingers x  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapo tech 2 code readers
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2008, 18:51:05 »

if its usb, it will be even more tempremental that the serial one.  if you haven't got a proper serial port, they aren't worth buying.

forcing it to com1 may help
Grumpy old man

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2008, 20:05:15 »

Thanks TB did that & it did try communicating but was unable to build whatever it does so moved on a bit further  :y,if there are no errors which I dont think is will it do anything or show any data possibly ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2008, 20:15:02 »

On USB, cheapo tech2 will either work (just) or not at all.
Grumpy old man

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2008, 11:28:18 »

hyperterm the virtual comport is it seing data?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2008, 17:35:22 »

I`m aware as to how crap these "cheapie" tech2 things are percieved to be, but I have an application in mind that does not warrant a full blown programmer.

Do these cheapie Tech2 units allow the marriage of the head units from delivery mode to a vehicle ?  Or correct de-installation from a vehicle of the stereo? As thats all I am interested in really.

A full blown tech2 will cost many dollars, (and worth every one I`m sure)  but I am only ever going to use one button, and only have one action to repeatedly perform, so does not justify the cost.

Can anyone advise please?

:-?
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2008, 18:47:10 »

Your lucky if it can read 1/2 the onboard computers!
reset faults

NO programming ability at all,

Can't do anything that requires a code input either.

Of course with some programming skill.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2008, 20:15:51 »

I`m aware as to how crap these "cheapie" tech2 things are percieved to be, but I have an application in mind that does not warrant a full blown programmer.

Do these cheapie Tech2 units allow the marriage of the head units from delivery mode to a vehicle ?  Or correct de-installation from a vehicle of the stereo? As thats all I am interested in really.

A full blown tech2 will cost many dollars, (and worth every one I`m sure)  but I am only ever going to use one button, and only have one action to repeatedly perform, so does not justify the cost.

No, can't pair/depair etc.  Not sure how to do is in public domain, so hardly surprising.

I guess if you could find out the protocol and codes required, you may be able to do it, but the research would be difficult I think
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2008, 22:55:26 »

No, can't pair/depair etc.  Not sure how to do is in public domain, so hardly surprising.

I guess if you could find out the protocol and codes required, you may be able to do it, but the research would be difficult I think

As I thought - I can do it with all the units on the bench, but requires such a major stripdown that its becoming too time consuming now with the volumes we are seeing - I guess I`m gonna have  to buy a tech2 then.

Where is best to look to pick up something reasonable? How many £K are we talking?
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2008, 22:57:37 »

As I thought - I can do it with all the units on the bench, but requires such a major stripdown that its becoming too time consuming now with the volumes we are seeing - I guess I`m gonna have  to buy a tech2 then.

Where is best to look to pick up something reasonable? How many £K are we talking?
£1.5k should get you a 2nd hand one, ebay, but rare.

It probably cannot depair if code unknown, or not with its partner if that makes sense?
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2008, 23:37:48 »

[/quote]
£1.5k should get you a 2nd hand one, ebay, but rare.

It probably cannot depair if code unknown, or not with its partner if that makes sense?[/quote]

And New?

The vehicle code itself is not a problem, We are developing a handheld unit that will read that one from the transponder unit around the ignition key, and it seems to be working very well so far. Although we now know the PUK code, we can find bugger all ways in which to use it without going the full hog and buying a tech2.

What functions / diagnostics can be performed on a vehcile if the code is known, but a tech2 is not present ?
www.dndservices.co.uk

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2008, 10:06:18 »

Hi guys read much stuff about these so a while back bought one off ebay called Opel Tech thought I would try using it on my own cars if ever I have a fault etc plus couple of family members have Vx other models even an Agila Aghh o'well well it has a prob so tried the Opel Tech thingy connected to my laptop  and got the message No echo  so then tried it on one of my Miggys & again No echo, I know its rubbish software but is there anything I need to do other than connect it & run the engine ? as there settings for it as numerous boxes with numbers in . Is there anyone got one of these things  to work :-[ its usb & connects to port com 3 which is what I have done, i contacted a couple of guys who bought them on ebay similar time as when I did as yet no replies as to if there's worked...

Hi! I bought one a couple of months ago, an ELM327 USB jobbie and I have had no problems with it! I (acquired) several types of software and most work. These being Proscan 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, Scanmaster, OBD2SPY among others. As your car is pre 2001 not too sure if these programmes would work.
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2008, 10:08:07 »

Hi! I bought one a couple of months ago, an ELM327 USB jobbie and I have had no problems with it! I (acquired) several types of software and most work. These being Proscan 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, Scanmaster, OBD2SPY among others. As your car is pre 2001 not too sure if these programmes would work.

Oh! and only works on COM1
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2008, 12:15:27 »

Have you ever tried communicating with late model VX stuff? Any radio programming possible?

www.dndservices.co.uk

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2008, 12:34:23 »

Have you ever tried communicating with late model VX stuff? Any radio programming possible?

I seem to recall a piece of software specific to Vauxhalls that promised this kind of functionality via an ELM327 interface. Still under development IIRC.

Most software for these interfaces that I've seen implement the generic code reading / resetting / live data whereas what you're referring to probably used proprietary extensions to the protocols and is less easy to support.

The ELM chip is probably a good, stable base to work from to handle the low level interfaces, as long as the physical standards the radios use are covered.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.