Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: budget tyres...  (Read 14290 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: budget tyres...
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2012, 15:25:17 »

I had some Nexen tyres on a car once which I found pretty good all rounder.... I was told they were budget tyres :)
I put a Nexen shod wheel on to remove that lethal Autogrip tyre. A vast improvement. But still not a tyre I would chose. Still a ditchfinder, just its far less likely to kill me than the Autogrip.

Mind you I have sat in a car when you are driving, my own car infact ;D
I would assume it all depends on how you drive.
You Jammie do drive like a "Knob" no two ways about it ;D :P
From the second I jumped into Vader's drivers seat, I felt at home. Confident. Everything was 'just right'. I didn't need to get a 'feel' for it, it gave all the feedback.  A fantastic 20 miles or so.

So, if we're calling each other Knobs, Mr Pink, its you for breaking Vader. An excellent car. But the climate panel lives on in the Silver Bullet :y

I actually agree with you  :'(

But "The Force is Strong with that one" and like you say lives on within many Members Cars :-* :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2012, 17:10:51 »

"Good budget tyres"

Oxymoron.
Budget tyres, false economy.

tango

• Intermediate Member
  • brum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2012, 18:13:39 »

Not everyone has the budget to spend over £100 a tyre but tyres are very important,
I try to get good part worns if I can and they must be good but on the few occasions when I couldn't I bought budgets
I have tried nankangs and admiral and to be honest I've never had a problem
I drive around 5-600 miles a week locally and I have a very heavy foot

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 January 2012, 19:11:28 »

Not everyone has the budget to spend over £100 a tyre but tyres are very important,
I try to get good part worns if I can and they must be good but on the few occasions when I couldn't I bought budgets
I have tried nankangs and admiral and to be honest I've never had a problem
I drive around 5-600 miles a week locally and I have a very heavy foot

Agreed not every one has the finances to go and buy £100 + tyres so like you i have used part worns in the past but only if they are nearly new. Now i know some would say that you should never compromise safety over cost but i say that when ever you purchase a second hand motor you don't ask the seller to fit it with new boots.

If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2012, 20:29:07 »

thanks for your replies,ive managed to get 2 wanli S1063 XL 225/55/16 99V from national tyres ebay website,for 127.84 fitted.i bought some 14 months ago for the front and never given me any problems,but then back end of last year the price shot up .now currently at the price above... :)
hth anyone who is looking for a decent tyre... :)

:o

I personally wouldn't put Wanlis on my pushbike, having experienced them in the wet.

It matters not how good your brakes, suspension, or reactions are, it all goes through those 4 bits of rubber. The variation in wet stopping distances between even a midrange (Kumho, Firestone) tyre and the Chinese plastic has to be seen to be believed.
 It's very much the land of diminishing returns.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 January 2012, 21:45:58 »

thanks for your replies,ive managed to get 2 wanli S1063 XL 225/55/16 99V from national tyres ebay website,for 127.84 fitted.i bought some 14 months ago for the front and never given me any problems,but then back end of last year the price shot up .now currently at the price above... :)

I personally wouldn't put Wanlis on my pushbike, having experienced them in the wet.

It matters not how good your brakes, suspension, or reactions are, it all goes through those 4 bits of rubber. The variation in wet stopping distances between even a midrange (Kumho, Firestone) tyre and the Chinese plastic has to be seen to be believed.
Equally, price doesn't make a good tyre ;) My van is shod with Michelin's and I can't wait for them to wear out :o ::) Just shy of 8k into them and I still have trust issues when it gets wet ::)

Mind you... I do drive "harder" than many :-X ::) Even so... I can spin them up in 2nd and 3rd in the dry, never mind the wet :o :o
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 January 2012, 22:02:10 »

I had some Nexen tyres on a car once which I found pretty good all rounder.... I was told they were budget tyres :)
I put a Nexen shod wheel on to remove that lethal Autogrip tyre. A vast improvement. But still not a tyre I would chose. Still a ditchfinder, just its far less likely to kill me than the Autogrip.

Mind you I have sat in a car when you are driving, my own car infact ;D
I would assume it all depends on how you drive.
You Jammie do drive like a "Knob" no two ways about it ;D :P
From the second I jumped into Vader's drivers seat, I felt at home. Confident. Everything was 'just right'. I didn't need to get a 'feel' for it, it gave all the feedback.  A fantastic 20 miles or so.

So, if we're calling each other Knobs, Mr Pink, its you for breaking Vader. An excellent car. But the climate panel lives on in the Silver Bullet :y

I actually agree with you  :'(

But "The Force is Strong with that one" and like you say lives on within many Members Cars :-* :y

The rear blind lives in my DTi  :y

ndmv6

• huddersfield
    • 2001 2.2 auto cd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 January 2012, 22:09:58 »

personally,i think its down to tread pattern,not actual brand.my van when new came fitted with michelins,wore down very quick,leathal in the wet,no grip at all when it snowed, and were going to cost a fortune to replace like for like,so i opted for kleber,half the price of the michelins,great tread pattern and they have outlasted the original michelins by a long way...times were good when i bought them,so  glad i opted for the klebers at the time,couldnt afford to replace em now.
just because a tyre has a  leading brand name on it and cost a fortune,that doesnt instantly mean its a good tyre..
its just a chance you take... :)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 January 2012, 23:04:31 »

I think the only way to get good tyres without having to pay premium prices is to go for a manufacturer that is trying to gain a toe hold in the UK market.

15 years ago Kumho tyres were cheap but surprisingly good. When their prices went up I found Hancook OK.

I have had recent success with 'Event' tyres in 235/45R17 at £60 a tyre (fitted & balanced). At that price I was prepared to change them immediately for premium tyres if they scared me but I have travelled 40,000 miles so far in all weathers and not felt any great need to spend twice the money on a big name tyre.

If the people who have shared their opinions on tyres could agree on what was the 'ideal' tyre for an Omega I would fit a set to experience what this mythical state of perfection felt like. Until that day each new set of tyres is going to be selected from what is available using a bit of common sense & taking into account any supporting information I can find at the time..........
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 15 January 2012, 00:09:08 »

As always... What are we calling a "good" tyre? I class a good tyre as one that has loads of grip (and must track well). However others would class that as a shite tyre as it will wear out quicker than they would like.

If at the budget end, hopefully the budget would allow for kumho at least. Anything cheaper seems to have major grip issues in the wet. Some budgets, such as Linglong, give a deceptive impression of reasonable dry grip levels, leaving the driver to believe its not possible to have such a huge difference between dry and wet grip. Something that grips to a reasonable level in the dry, should never be allowed to have so little grip in the wet. Lordy.  :o

Never had michelins on any car btw. But if I ever do I'd expect them to give mega miles if driven sedately. 30-35k on primacy for instance. I don't have that level of patience though.  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 15 January 2012, 00:15:06 »

Further, the ideal tyre for an omega is never going to suite everyone, however we can brake it down into sub groups.

Possibly based on driving style and budget....? :-\

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 January 2012, 00:21:52 »

Premium tyres are good tyres, generally soft compounds for increased performance meaning less mileage per set.

Mid range tyres are average tyres, average performance and average mileage generally.

Budget tyres are poor tyres, poor performance but will last longer.

Simple.

People who say good things about budget tyres are just trying to justify their own purchases imo.  There are dozens of tests over the last decade showing that budgets are a false economy.  If people can't afford to have some decent rubber they should own a cheaper car to run imo.
Budget tyres, false economy.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 January 2012, 01:03:18 »

Equally, price doesn't make a good tyre ;) My van is shod with Michelin's and I can't wait for them to wear out :o ::) Just shy of 8k into them and I still have trust issues when it gets wet ::)

Mind you... I do drive "harder" than many :-X ::) Even so... I can spin them up in 2nd and 3rd in the dry, never mind the wet :o :o

So we must look at driver error, spinning a tyre at those speed suggests a need for driver edcuation...........wrong tyres, wrong fuel.........it will be wrong car next........... :D :D :D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 January 2012, 01:44:01 »

So we must look at driver error, spinning a tyre at those speed suggests a need for driver edcuation...........wrong tyres, wrong fuel.........it will be wrong car next........... :D :D :D
It's not my fault the tyres can't keep up with my driving style ::) :D

I will say that they do seem to perform well under braking though :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

albitz

« Reply #29 on: 15 January 2012, 06:44:07 »

Premium tyres are good tyres, generally soft compounds for increased performance meaning less mileage per set.

Mid range tyres are average tyres, average performance and average mileage generally.

Budget tyres are poor tyres, poor performance but will last longer.

Simple.

People who say good things about budget tyres are just trying to justify their own purchases imo.  There are dozens of tests over the last decade showing that budgets are a false economy.  If people can't afford to have some decent rubber they should own a cheaper car to run imo.

Need any help getting down from that high horse ?  ::) ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.