Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: budget tyres...  (Read 14280 times)

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
Re: budget tyres...
« Reply #90 on: 23 January 2012, 17:57:07 »

some off us got no choice so its part worns or pay the pigs their pocket money for bald tyres

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 23 January 2012, 18:09:05 »

As I say, part worns may have a place for those more concerned with legality than anything else, when new tyres are needed unxpectedly.  I still maintain its not a cost effective approach to constantly use part worns - I believe you are paying well over the odds during the course of the life of a NEW set of tyres.

Budget v Premium is a seperate debate altogether. Must budget are awful, but then some premium - Michelin for example - are awful as well.

As to why part worns are available, most people will drive done to near the legal limit, so those that are replaced beforehand are with pulled off writeoffs, occasional puncture, so both sides replaced, or because the original owner realises that by 5mm, they are well past their sell-by date.  Very few fleets would remove 5mm+ tyres to sell a car on. Very few.

Tyres can be lethal. That Autogrip one in my garage is a prime example. About 7mm tread, even wear, but poor grip in the dry, but zero, and I mean zero, grip in the wet. I would challenge even the gayest of gays, ie tunnie, to drive that without loosing it.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 23 January 2012, 18:44:59 »

Well i'll be putting my normal wheels back on the DTi soon so I need to put new tyres on a pair of them.

As I can't afford to put SC3's on (and a DTi really doesn't require them!) i'm contemplating what else is out there... Was very happy with the Kumho KU31's but they are not available anymore so i'm thinking of Toyo T1R's, had them on the car originally and they seemed to be very good. Anyone have any thoughts?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 23 January 2012, 18:49:38 »

Well i'll be putting my normal wheels back on the DTi soon so I need to put new tyres on a pair of them.

As I can't afford to put SC3's on (and a DTi really doesn't require them!) i'm contemplating what else is out there... Was very happy with the Kumho KU31's but they are not available anymore so i'm thinking of Toyo T1R's, had them on the car originally and they seemed to be very good. Anyone have any thoughts?
Dunlop Sport MAXX TT. Great tyre, not too bad pricewise. Awful durability though ;D
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 23 January 2012, 18:56:32 »

Dunlop Sport MAXX TT. Great tyre, not too bad pricewise. Awful durability though ;D

The two wheels with good tyres already have them on, but was really looking for something a little cheaper for the 'heavy oil' car! Looking for something under £100 a tyre ideally

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 23 January 2012, 18:56:36 »

Uniroyal Rainsport 2's easily the best upper mid range tyre I've ever used.

Had them both on a mondeo and my Omega, best grip I've had from any tyre in the wet.  Tried Goodyear F1's, Michelin Pilot's, Continental CS2's.

The sidewall is quite soft though, but that doesn't bother me as I consider the Omega as a wafty barge anyway. :P
Budget tyres, false economy.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 23 January 2012, 19:05:21 »

Had them both on a mondeo and my Omega, best grip I've had from any tyre in the wet.  Tried Goodyear F1's, Michelin Pilot's, Continental CS2's.

The sidewall is quite soft though, but that doesn't bother me as I consider the Omega as a wafty barge anyway. :P

Cheers, i'll have a look at them. Is there any rim protection built into the sidewall?

Shimmy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 23 January 2012, 19:21:22 »

Cheers, i'll have a look at them. Is there any rim protection built into the sidewall?

I believe there is but it's not something I considered when buying, nor have I taken notice of it really.
Budget tyres, false economy.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 23 January 2012, 21:16:39 »

some off us got no choice so its part worns or pay the pigs their pocket money for bald tyres

...and why is it illegal to have bald tyres, one wonders...

If you can't afford to put a set of tyres on the car, you can't afford the car. Personally, I prefer to use decent tyres, having experienced ditchfinders in various forms.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 23 January 2012, 21:18:16 »

So what your saying is, if you can't afford top quality tyres, you don't by any? Which for some means don't go to work or pay the mortgage either, if the cars not available, as it has no tyres on it...?
Always buy the best quality tyre for available budget, obviously. Others with less healthy waletts will think differantly for sure.

IME an old tyre will loose performance evenly between wet and dry grip.

Budget tyres can work deceptively well in the dry and be bloody dangerous in even mildly damp conditions. The difference in performance between wet and dry conditions is startling IMO.

Although others may have different experiences clearly.

Times are hard currently, as we all know. Part worns have their place, like it or not. Not to mention the complete waste if they're not used.

I am not sure thats what I said. I would rather buy a reasonably performing mid priced tyre than a premium part worn. For eg: Kumho KU31 approx £60, Goodyear GSD3 70, Cooper/Avon/Hankook all about 80. Yes they are technically twice the price of a part worn but as TB said you will probably get twice the life out of them and a lot more peace of mind.

I am aware that times are hard but there are ways to work around this. For eg: use a second hand set of steelies and go to the smallest Vx recommended size. Sure they wont look great or handle like a sports car. But its they way I would choose to go rather than get a part worn just to keep the car looking good but have a high unreliability factor.

As someone else said on another thread, the Omega is a cheap car to buy but not a cheap car to own. Make an informed choice. And I fully appreciate the choice that some people make, I just do not agree with it

Re: cheap ditch finders, dont even get me started.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 23 January 2012, 22:02:45 »

The two wheels with good tyres already have them on, but was really looking for something a little cheaper for the 'heavy oil' car! Looking for something under £100 a tyre ideally

Got Kumho KH31's fitted to rear and rate them highly £80 fitted per corner. Or there is TB's favourite  http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=56365935.110.15674&typ=R-125539&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=55&Felge=16&Load=95&Speed=Z&weiter=30&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=110  ;D ;D
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

feeutfo

« Reply #101 on: 23 January 2012, 22:46:34 »

Had an issue with rim protection, bridgestones potenzas 001, stock 03 elite wheels, rubbing on the shock body due to rim protection on the inside edge as well. It did need set up, Wim showed the before camber to be -1.45. Not a bad guess on my part I thought, but shows how tight the gap was. :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #102 on: 23 January 2012, 22:58:14 »

So what your saying is, if you can't afford top quality tyres, you don't by any? Which for some means don't go to work or pay the mortgage either, if the cars not available, as it has no tyres on it...?
Always buy the best quality tyre for available budget, obviously. Others with less healthy waletts will think differantly for sure.

IME an old tyre will loose performance evenly between wet and dry grip.

Budget tyres can work deceptively well in the dry and be bloody dangerous in even mildly damp conditions. The difference in performance between wet and dry conditions is startling IMO.

Although others may have different experiences clearly.

Times are hard currently, as we all know. Part worns have their place, like it or not. Not to mention the complete waste if they're not used.

I am not sure thats what I said. I would rather buy a reasonably performing mid priced tyre than a premium part worn. For eg: Kumho KU31 approx £60, Goodyear GSD3 70, Cooper/Avon/Hankook all about 80. Yes they are technically twice the price of a part worn but as TB said you will probably get twice the life out of them and a lot more peace of mind.

I am aware that times are hard but there are ways to work around this. For eg: use a second hand set of steelies and go to the smallest Vx recommended size. Sure they wont look great or handle like a sports car. But its they way I would choose to go rather than get a part worn just to keep the car looking good but have a high unreliability factor.

As someone else said on another thread, the Omega is a cheap car to buy but not a cheap car to own. Make an informed choice. And I fully appreciate the choice that some people make, I just do not agree with it

Re: cheap ditch finders, dont even get me started.
We, or the rest if us, where talking about budget tyres v premium part worns. My point being, premium part worms for me every time, even if they are old.

Eg part worn Dunlop,bridgestones,conti, etc over new sunew,autogrip,Linglong,wanlee shite every time.... was the point. No?

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 24 January 2012, 16:17:03 »

I get that point chrisg, but I was suggesting options named in my post that cost say £10 -20 more than the widow makers but yet are not premium tyres but are an acceptable budget/value new option. For eg Hankook/Avon/Cooper is 80 a corner new and is not a premium and would be my preference over a conti SC5 part worn. Unless you are calling the above choices a premium option, in which case I understand your post.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

ted_one

« Reply #104 on: 24 January 2012, 17:56:49 »

Suppose I'm lucky as my son manages a branch of a large tyre chain (not Kwik Krap) and luckily for me I get my tyres for cost plus a fiver i.e firestones for £30 on the 2.0ltr and £45 for Bridgestones on the 3.2. The 3.0 came with Champiro's already on it,dunno much about them  the boy says they're budget tyres and for me they seem OK but then I rarely rag the car.So any one within striking distance of Staines, Middx PM me and I'll see what he can come up with, you wont get a good as deal as me but I know he'll do his best to fix you up rather than fit you up!! :y :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 17 queries.