Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: A bit of homework, Project E  (Read 37650 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of homework, Project E
« Reply #105 on: 22 February 2016, 17:19:38 »

Brilliant project. Come a long way since we saw that corpse and the buried hand! :o

Still on budget?

This one .....  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 22 February 2016, 17:57:27 »

Thats it still makes us laugh now. Many a time I have felt like having an extended nap after renovations work. Still not sure about the hand. Need Silent Witness crew on that one.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 23 February 2016, 11:21:18 »

Looking good Mark.  :y

Did you manage to place the internal steel so that the ceiling joists sit inside the steel to maintain a single level ceiling? If so, was there much/any disruption to the room above when you trimmed the joists?
I'm waiting for the structural engineer to do my calculations but at the moment it looks like I'll need supporting piers with pads. I would have preferred pad stones built in like yours to maintain the room width, or goal post steels to minimise the loss of a straight wall for kitchen design but will have to see what he comes up with.  :)

In my case the ceiling/floor joists sit on top of the steel, this I did because of two reasons:

• The room which is currently the kitchen will be opened up and combined with the adjacent room to be a large dining are (or snug as I keep calling it!), as a result I needed to keep the sight lines created by the lintels for the opening to the kitchen and the existing patio doors in line.
  • The existing area is a flat ceiling (room above) and the new kitchen a vaulted ceiling so there was no major benefit to creating a flush opening

Now being somebody who always over analyses things, I did consider the joist into the lintel approach, my plan of works was:

1) Remove brick work to sides, enough to allow installation of padstones without impacting structure
2) Remove 500mm of ceiling plasterboard to expose joist ends
3) Support internal floor joists with props/boards and external walls with props/strongboys
4) Remove external wall to height required for external lintel
5) Remove block work between joists on inner skin and one row below
6) Shorten joists and trim top and bottom as required to allow fit inside web of steel
7) Fit half height noggins between joists
8) Install inner lintel, mortar top side to mate with inner leaf and jack into position
9) Point mortar bed and pack ends between padstones with slate and 3:1 mortar mix.
10) Pack as/if required between base of ceiling joists and lintel lower horizontal section
11) Install external lintel. 

The above is straight from the notes I made at the time so would need some refinement but is the basis of it, another option I considered was cutting the joists shorter and using joist hangers over the top of the steel to avoid all the faff of trimming.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 23 February 2016, 11:24:53 »

Brilliant project. Come a long way since we saw that corpse and the buried hand! :o

Still on budget?

£2k over due to scope creep.......she creeped and insisted that I upgrade the whole downstairs floor to UFH!

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 23 February 2016, 11:54:51 »

Still on budget?

£2k over due to scope creep.......she creeped and insisted that I upgrade the whole downstairs floor to UFH!
I am extremely glad that I put wet underfloor heating in the extension (and 2/3 of the existing ground floor).

I wasn't so glad during the build when I was digging up the old concrete floors though.......
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 23 February 2016, 14:56:59 »

The above is straight from the notes I made at the time so would need some refinement but is the basis of it, another option I considered was cutting the joists shorter and using joist hangers over the top of the steel to avoid all the faff of trimming.

Thanks for the feedback.  :y
I can fully understand what you mean regarding the sight line as yours is an extension of the whole house, whereas mine is just a kitchen extension, hence my need for a single level ceiling.  :y

Hmmm, UFH is something I'd not thought about.  :y It won't be so cold on her back when we christen it.  ;) ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 23 February 2016, 15:25:14 »

Thanks for the feedback.  :y
I can fully understand what you mean regarding the sight line as yours is an extension of the whole house, whereas mine is just a kitchen extension, hence my need for a single level ceiling.  :y

Hmmm, UFH is something I'd not thought about.  :y It won't be so cold on her back when we christen it.  ;) ;D

If your going for a screed floor its worth while in my view, plenty of options for supply out there to.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 29 February 2016, 08:21:32 »

Some further progress all be it a weekend of catching up with smaller jobs and finishing bits off which seems to take a real age to do.

Saturday involved a trip to the hire show to return the Acrows and Strongboys before heading off to Jayplas (highly recommended for plastic in Nottingham!) to pick up some trims and silicon (£12 for 10m of 90mm trim plus some tubes of silicon).

So one broken brick to replace (I got a bit keen with the SDS when fitting the door) followed by the returns on the fascia, the trims around the triangular window and the separator trim between the window and door. All left to dry and then silicone in on Sunday.

I also did a stack of work preparing the DPM around the knock through areas to integrate it with the existing setup in the original house plus, drilling four holes and lining them with overflow pipe to pass the UFH pipes through.

Throw in a bit of pointing and shaped blocks to close the steel ends and another full weekend.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 29 February 2016, 09:55:15 »

Pictured like that you get to appreciate the sheer scale of the extension. That will make one hell of a difference to your living space.  :y

Make it nice and cosy, as when your children start bringing their girlfriends/boyfriends home, that's where you'll be sitting.  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 29 February 2016, 10:03:34 »

Pictured like that you get to appreciate the sheer scale of the extension. That will make one hell of a difference to your living space.  :y

Make it nice and cosy, as when your children start bringing their girlfriends/boyfriends home, that's where you'll be sitting.  ;D

.. with a shotgun. :D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 29 February 2016, 10:10:29 »

.. with a shotgun. :D

;D ;D

Yes, that definitely helps to whittle it down to the genuine contenders.   ;D :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 29 February 2016, 11:24:07 »

The right hand 2/3rds (for the left of the Bi-fold across to the right wall) is the Man cave, Tv, sofa , games console, surround setup etc.....I fear it may be harder to get the kids out of there  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 29 February 2016, 11:25:41 »

Today is the first time I have looked at the before/after side by side:

aaronjb

« Reply #118 on: 29 February 2016, 12:07:05 »

That's probably what, an extra 40% downstairs?

Impressive work, Mark, your attention to detail is quite clear!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 29 February 2016, 13:57:55 »

Looking good  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.