Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: L:ibyan rebels have al-Qaeda links?  (Read 1511 times)

Nickbat

L:ibyan rebels have al-Qaeda links?
« on: 26 March 2011, 17:28:40 »

Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi, the Libyan rebel leader, has said jihadists who fought against allied troops in Iraq are on the front lines of the battle against Muammar Gaddafi's regime.

...Earlier this month, al-Qaeda issued a call for supporters to back the Libyan rebellion, which it said would lead to the imposition of "the stage of Islam" in the country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8407047/Libyan-rebel-commander-admits-his-fighters-have-al-Qaeda-links.html

Why do I keep thinking that Cast-Iron Dave's ego-adventure could go t*ts up?  ::) ::)

Update:
Why did I see nothing in the mainstream media about this protest yesterday?

Sharia Law for Libya Protest Shuts Down Oxford Street, London

http://thinkafricapress.com/video/sharia-law-libya-protest-shuts-down-oxford-street-london

:o :o :(
« Last Edit: 26 March 2011, 17:35:50 by Nickbat »

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: L:ibyan rebels have al-Qaeda links?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2011, 17:47:16 »

This is old news.

Gaddafi has been claiming since the start of the uprising that Al Qaeda are supporting the rebels, and the Allies have been surprisingly quiet about it.  It comes as no surprise they have got those links, and if you are fighting a regime like Gaddafi's why not?  You need as many friends as you can get in the Islamic world, and especially trained fighters.

We may not like them that's for sure, but I think we have all been around long enough to know that in politics, and especially in times of war, strange bedfellows get together, although this one is not that strange!!  In history the West has worked with some strange regimes, and Allies, like al Qaeda themselves, during times of peace and conflict to secure their interests.  So why shouldn't desperate Arabs who, only just over a week ago, were far from certain that they would get any help from any quarter.

The West will just have to watch and see how it all pans out! ::) ::) ;)
« Last Edit: 26 March 2011, 17:48:16 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2011, 17:59:00 »

I think if the west worried less about who they think is and isn't a terrorist and more about the type of regimes we support then the world would be a far safer place  :o
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2011, 18:02:21 »

Of course this is yet another thing for the so called coalition to worry themselves about.

As I see it unless Gadafi(and son)  somehow "die" then  maintaining nothing more than a no-fly zone and a naval blockade will help consolidate the partition of the country into two of the three traditional territories that form Libya, Tripolitania in the west and Cyrenaica in the east, with a desert-like southern region that would be out of the control of either one of these two areas, and become a haven for Al Qaeda. It might just be more desirable to perpetuate a dictator like Gaddafi in power.  ;D ;D

Incidentally the "no fly zone" that the UN had for Bosnia - Herzogovenia lasted a staggering 8 years. How much will that cost the coalition if it goes on for that length of time! :o
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nickbat

« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2011, 18:02:57 »

I think if the west worried less about who they think is and isn't a terrorist and more about the type of regimes we support then the world would be a far safer place  :o

Yes, an Al-Qaeda-influenced regime would be soooo much safer.  ::) ::)

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2011, 18:10:51 »

Yes, an influenced regime would be soooo much safer.  ::) ::)

thats right NB there is only 2 options in your world view, name a country and bingo - heres your two options:

UK: capitilism or communism take your pick

Libya: dictator or terrorist

that'll be the big bumper book of swivel-eyed truisms then. £2.99 in all good bookshops

;D ;D ;D

please dont change NB - this is a golden age for your stuff - everyone should read these......thoughts - Twitter perhaps?  ;D :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2011, 18:12:16 »

To lead on from my first answer to your post, you are now forgetting one important fact.   The international air forces are there to protect Libyans from military attacks on them by Gaddafi.  No regime change sought, no taking over the country, but just a case of letting the Libyans decide their own future.

If that includes an al Qaeda regime, well the West may not  like it, but that is what they are choosing.  Not our business thank God, even though it may not suit "us"! ::) ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2011, 18:19:47 »

ahhh... finally some deeper toughts ::) ::)

what you think will happen in an islamic country if you take the powers down ::) where the only thing left in their hands are islamic bounds :(

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2011, 18:22:07 »

To lead on from my first answer to your post, you are now forgetting one important fact.   The international air forces are there to protect Libyans from military attacks on them by Gaddafi.  No regime change sought, no taking over the country, but just a case of letting the Libyans decide their own future.

If that includes an al Qaeda regime, well the West may not  like it, but that is what they are choosing.  Not our business thank God, even though it may not suit "us"! ::) ::)

And I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too! ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nickbat

« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2011, 18:25:58 »

Yes, an influenced regime would be soooo much safer.  ::) ::)

thats right NB there is only 2 options in your world view, name a country and bingo - heres your two options:

UK: capitilism or communism take your pick

Libya: dictator or terrorist

that'll be the big bumper book of swivel-eyed truisms then. £2.99 in all good bookshops

;D ;D ;D

please dont change NB - this is a golden age for your stuff - everyone should read these......thoughts - Twitter perhaps?  ;D :y

Twitter sounds good.

When they bring out idiotter, that'll be for you.

::)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2011, 18:32:39 »

And I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too! ;D ;D

No I do not Varche, but that is the international approach that the west is tied into.  What is wrong with that?  We either believe that they, the Libyans, should have a chance of deciding their political future or the west jumps in, yet again, and rightly gets criticized for interfering in another Islamic countries politics. ;)

I definately get a feeling on here that because the Libyans are foreign, or even worse, Arabs, they are not capable of seeking self detirmination.  Very strange, they are humans like the rest of us and desire the same things, even if they are a little behind the west on that one. ;) ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2011, 18:50:36 »

If only our aims were so simple and altruistic.

Firstly we only get involved when we have something to gain. There have been many instances in recent times where countries have been having uprisings, civil war or just a plain murderous regime. We sit back and do nothing. In fact it often doesn't even get a mention on the British News. Unlike our veritable lotilla of reporters from every channel in every town and Libyan settlement for example.

Secondly we have a huge number of folk on the payroll actively covertly steering outcomes in countries all over the world whether those governments want it or not.

For double standards you only have to look at the Jews and Palestine. Why hasn't the murder of Arabs been stopped there? (Rhetorical question doesn't need an answer).

No, there is nothing wrong with self determination but it ought to be self not external government installed puppet as in so many other scenarios "we" have been involved in.

Nickbat

« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2011, 19:01:15 »

For double standards you only have to look at the Jews and Palestine. Why hasn't the murder of Arabs been stopped there? (Rhetorical question doesn't need an answer).

Huh?  :o :o

What about the murder of Jews? It's a two-way street, Varche.

12 March 2011: Five members of Jewish family killed in suspected Palestinian militant attack

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/12/west-bank-jewish-family-killed

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2011, 19:02:23 »

If only our aims were so simple and altruistic.

Firstly we only get involved when we have something to gain. There have been many instances in recent times where countries have been having uprisings, civil war or just a plain murderous regime. We sit back and do nothing. In fact it often doesn't even get a mention on the British News. Unlike our veritable lotilla of reporters from every channel in every town and Libyan settlement for example.

Secondly we have a huge number of folk on the payroll actively covertly steering outcomes in countries all over the world whether those governments want it or not.

No, there is nothing wrong with self determination but it ought to be self not external government installed puppet as in so many other scenarios "we" have been involved in.

I know exactly where you are coming from Varche, but I really do believe, at least for now, that the West has learnt from its past mistakes.  I find the USA stance on foreign involvement interesting to say the least, especially on the latest Libyan affair.  It may be purely down to economics, and even the USA are suffering from that one!  But, I see the Americans becoming far more isolationist after all the criticism, and expense, of "becoming involved". 

Their people are now very unhappy about losing loved ones in distant wars, when all they want is a secure homeland that does not fight foreign wars, just as they intended originally and then again before WW2. Times have changed, and no longer does the current administration, as does their voters, want the USA seen as "the bad guys", losing their own people, and spending billions of dollars "unnecessarily" in the process.

History will eventually tell us where this is going and Europe may be unhappy at the outcome!  ::) ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2011, 19:08:14 »

Huh?  :o :o

What about the murder of Jews? It's a two-way street, Varche.

12 March 2011: Five members of Jewish family killed in suspected Palestinian militant attack

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/12/west-bank-jewish-family-killed

I wish you showed the same sensitivity when palestinians were under phosphor bombs :-/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 17 queries.