Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3123184 times)

05omegav6

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #7335 on: 01 April 2014, 14:13:59 »

That will be fine :y have one myself, though I paid about a third of that from Homebase

Good for incinerating bushes/plumbing jobs and general pyromanic behavior too ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: 01 April 2014, 15:22:12 »

This is what I have, along with a can of MAPP gas: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rothenberger-Superfire-2-Gas-Soldering-Brazing-Blow-Torch-Mapp-or-Propane-/291112233086

Gets things nice and toasty and is about as good as you can get without getting an acetylene torch in (which isn't really practical in a home setting!)

Snap, as used a few times at Newent for lighting the gas cooker with.  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #7337 on: 01 April 2014, 16:01:34 »

This is what I have, along with a can of MAPP gas: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rothenberger-Superfire-2-Gas-Soldering-Brazing-Blow-Torch-Mapp-or-Propane-/291112233086

Gets things nice and toasty and is about as good as you can get without getting an acetylene torch in (which isn't really practical in a home setting!)

Snap, as used a few times at Newent for lighting the gas cooker with.  :y

Pretty sure it was on your recommendation (perhaps not directly :)) that I bought it - and very pleased with it I've been, too :y

Great for helping a friend burn himself on his RX8 exhaust... ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: 01 April 2014, 16:41:19 »

Quick question then ... having never played with the rear tie-rods ... I assume (dangerous I know) that the two big "nuts" are lock nuts that need loosening before the centre bar can be turned ... so .. which one is the "wrong handed" one .. inner or outer ??? As it might make life a tad easier knowing which way to try and turn them once hot !! As they stand at the moment, soaked in plusgas, they have as much chance of moving as mount everest does !!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: 01 April 2014, 16:45:19 »

Quick question then ... having never played with the rear tie-rods ... I assume (dangerous I know) that the two big "nuts" are lock nuts that need loosening before the centre bar can be turned ... so .. which one is the "wrong handed" one .. inner or outer ??? As it might make life a tad easier knowing which way to try and turn them once hot !! As they stand at the moment, soaked in plusgas, they have as much chance of moving as mount everest does !!

Sadly I dont remember but it matters not really as they can turn in any direction as long as they come free.

05omegav6

« Reply #7340 on: 01 April 2014, 17:38:47 »

Pay close attention to the threads...free the lock nuts first then unscrew the centre rod :y Off memory I don't think that they are sided, so what works on one side will be mirrored on tother :y

05omegav6

« Reply #7341 on: 01 April 2014, 17:40:38 »

Washed it... apparently it's white rather than the dusty matt grey it had become :-[

Still scrubs up nice though 8)

That is if you ignore the stone chips and rusty bits :-X

Stemo

« Reply #7342 on: 01 April 2014, 17:43:28 »

Washed it... apparently it's white rather than the dusty matt grey it had become :-[

Still scrubs up nice though 8)

That is if you ignore the stone chips and rusty bits :-X
That would make an excellent eBay advert.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: 01 April 2014, 17:45:09 »

Cleaned up front brakes to sort awful brake squeal....
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: 01 April 2014, 17:54:11 »

done nothing to car again and not touched it for 12 months apart to put petrol in and occasionally check oil (it never uses any) . Stop messing with these bloody cars and get some value from them as tools to serve you.  >:(

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: 01 April 2014, 18:33:12 »

Swore lots ....

Changed both wishbones ... both ball joints would not come out of the pinch bolt holes with any ease at all ... despite the pinch bolt being completely removed and a cold chisel well buried in the "split" ... managed it eventually with a lump hammer and a drift on the boltheads of the ball joints .. I didn't want to muller the old ones as Joff  wishes to refurb them.. hopefully the damage is within allowable limits ..... :(

Swore lots .....

Offside new one in position, holes line up first time ... so I manage to drop the bolt into the chassis void ... :( .. drive to swidnod .. luckily Skurrays had bolts in stock .... bit of string around the bolt for safety, went in first go ......offside TRE adjusters checked, nice and free ...

Swore lots ....

Nearside new one would not line up, simply could not get the vertical bolt in even after an hour. Took it all apart again, went for coffee, back out .. lined up first time ..... but then the ball joint would not go in ... took over an hour before that suddenly just decided to go.....  nearside TRE adjusters "solid as a rock" .. now soaked in plusgas ...

Swore lots ....

Both rear TRE adjusters also seized solid .. more plusgas

So tomorrow its more plusgas and possibly the weedburner to heat them up, if that fails its take the whole things off and use the kitchen stove .... as, according to Mark DTM .... heat always wins ....

wondering how much the bolt in the chassis rail will rattle
... might have to squirt some waxoil down it if its too noisey ...

:(

I have a magnet on a flexi shaft that I got mine out with Nige. Feel free to borrow. :y :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: 01 April 2014, 18:35:06 »

I took mine off and did it in the vice. Much easier! :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: 01 April 2014, 19:43:04 »

I have a magnet on a flexi shaft that I got mine out with Nige. Feel free to borrow. :y :y :y

I tried a magnet on a stick .. failed spectacularly... magnet kept sticking to the chassis rail .... and then started to bend excessively .. so I gave up !!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: 01 April 2014, 20:27:22 »

Checked the intercooler on the bus. Earlier today I ragged the nads off it, trying to redline in every gear, partly out of hatred for it and partly to see in an Italian tuneup would help.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #7349 on: 01 April 2014, 20:51:26 »

And did it...

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.