Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3122954 times)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #10890 on: 08 August 2015, 22:06:28 »

Good news: Picked it up after service & MOT.  :y
Bad news: Vx say it has a water leak & requires new head gaskets. Asking substantial money plus 2 days to do job & one for testing. Basically replace head gaskets & cam belt?  :(

Car has only done 55K & had the belt/water pump changed August 2014.

Advice please?
TIA

They are idiots... ::) what are the symptoms, if any...
;D ;D

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #10891 on: 08 August 2015, 22:11:13 »

Well I haven't really noticed any particularly. I drive to London most days so car meets a lot of traffic congestion as you might expect and can run quite hot . ie up to 95 but always goes back down. When I reach home from London the fans sometimes kick in but soon go off.

They said they noticed some 'pink' staining at bottom of engine but coolant level seems OK maybe losing a little given the driving I do. 

Getting out of the car recently I felt quite a lot of heat from the front but I put it down to a break/leak in the exhaust which needed some work for the MOT.

How would leaking head gaskets usually show up or be identified?

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: 09 August 2015, 00:45:56 »

Fitted the wheel wiper stick and fitted a  cruise stick....And found out that the my naff code readers cannot enable cruise on a 3.2 But yet they can on a 2.2  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #10893 on: 09 August 2015, 07:32:04 »

Well I haven't really noticed any particularly. I drive to London most days so car meets a lot of traffic congestion as you might expect and can run quite hot . ie up to 95 but always goes back down. When I reach home from London the fans sometimes kick in but soon go off.

They said they noticed some 'pink' staining at bottom of engine but coolant level seems OK maybe losing a little given the driving I do. 

Getting out of the car recently I felt quite a lot of heat from the front but I put it down to a break/leak in the exhaust which needed some work for the MOT.

Rough running would be a start :-\ Pink staining is a tell tale of coolant, but this could be left from the water pump change or equally from the HBV... that said, if it doesn't require topping up, then it isn't losing or using any. Simples.

Temp and fan behaviour sounds normal, and the residual heat from a 3.2 can de ice entire roads, so again, normal. :y

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: 09 August 2015, 07:45:39 »

Barely 260 from my last one inspite of the manual box :-[ current tank looking like 340/50 but have been trying to behave...

Hope to get 400 out of a tank on Friday when I go up to Scotland :-\ but after that I bet I don't get more than 20mpg in the highlands over the following ten days :'(

Well had a good drive up, and was up to 30 mpg at one point but now here with 28.9 mpg so happy and only one tank for 386 miles :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: 09 August 2015, 09:25:18 »

Both times the HG has gone on my 3.0l, the *only* symptom has been the need to top up coolant, which gets progressively worse. No poor running, no fluid mixing, no other symptoms.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #10896 on: 09 August 2015, 09:29:01 »

Both times the HG has gone on my 3.0l, the *only* symptom has been the need to top up coolant, which gets progressively worse. No poor running, no fluid mixing, no other symptoms.
And when was the last time you encountered a 3.2 head gasket failure, let alone a double one... ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: 09 August 2015, 09:31:03 »

3.0 engines have slight tendency to eat their head gaskets. 3.2 engines have  hard & fast rule never to do so.
I think your local Vauxhall dealer currently has a quiet spell in their workshop.
It might be worth getting them to put it on paper - diagnosis & price to repair - then report them to trading standards.  ;)

edit. Looks like Mr Telemacher and I were almost posting the same thing at the same time. ;D
« Last Edit: 09 August 2015, 09:32:47 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: 09 August 2015, 09:47:24 »

And when was the last time you encountered a 3.2 head gasket failure, let alone a double one... ::)
Yup, we know v6 HG failures are rare, although 1998 3.0l V6 seem to be worse than most, leaking from rear of 2/4/6 bank.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: 09 August 2015, 10:29:46 »

Yup, we know v6 HG failures are rare, although 1998 3.0l V6 seem to be worse than most, leaking from rear of 2/4/6 bank.

2.5's go as well.  ::)  Mine leaked for ages and I put up with it until it started to leak into the oil and it went to mayo  ::)

Oooops!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10900 on: 09 August 2015, 11:24:45 »

Flat battery on the 2.5  >:( Just knew something would opps up
on a quite sunday  ::)
Omegatitis

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: 09 August 2015, 17:43:16 »

Removed the TD i/C fan which keeps blowing the fuse. Bearings are shot, so another fan is required. :(

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #10902 on: 09 August 2015, 17:56:16 »

Rough running would be a start :-\ Pink staining is a tell tale of coolant, but this could be left from the water pump change or equally from the HBV... that said, if it doesn't require topping up, then it isn't losing or using any. Simples.

Temp and fan behaviour sounds normal, and the residual heat from a 3.2 can de ice entire roads, so again, normal. :y

Seems to be running OK. I'll keep an eye on the coolant level. Thanks for your help.  :y

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: 09 August 2015, 20:25:52 »

First oil change since my ownership and a spinning housing dealt with like pro, due to the help from here  :y
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10904 on: 09 August 2015, 22:46:05 »

Fitted a new radiator and M.A.F. meter today and at long last my miggy drives as it should...perfect....well pleased considering yesterday i went to look at a sport version with a view to buying it,,,but not now   :D ;D :y

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.