Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3146025 times)

05omegav6

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #10965 on: 13 August 2015, 12:25:45 »

Just cut up an irmy front bumper in to 4 bits with a jigsaw
 ;D
Are you oppsing mental ???

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: 13 August 2015, 12:58:22 »

Just cut up an irmy front bumper in to 4 bits with a jigsaw
 ;D
Are you oppsing mental ???

Its been in the garden 3 years with stuff growing out of it  ;D Big splits both sides and dents and chips all over it but the main thing is its only from a Veccy B  :D
Omegatitis

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #10967 on: 13 August 2015, 20:57:30 »

Trip to and from London uneventful today. Good temp and no leaks. Second Vx dealer said no HG problems! Just replaced the expansion tank cap.

Enjoyed PF's The Wall on the way home. Had forgotten how good it is.  :y

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

05omegav6

« Reply #10968 on: 14 August 2015, 22:35:10 »

New radiator and condenser fitted to the black one... only took three days due to some unforeseen rust issues and the poxy weather. Popped a freshly charged battery on it, started first go, but battery is toast... left car idling whilst checking the cooling system, so about half an hour, moved it onto the drive and switched off, only to notice that I was about four feet short of where I was aiming for. Would it restart? Not even an adolescent attempt at effort... ::)

Still, only the brakes, front suspension and doubtless more rust and I can begin to consider getting it MoTd  ;)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: 14 August 2015, 23:27:58 »

Garage fitted new petrol filter today along with hand brake adjustment and new water pump and antifreeze added. and general check over, :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: 15 August 2015, 08:26:03 »

New radiator and condenser fitted to the black one... only took three days due to some unforeseen rust issues and the poxy weather. Popped a freshly charged battery on it, started first go, but battery is toast... left car idling whilst checking the cooling system, so about half an hour, moved it onto the drive and switched off, only to notice that I was about four feet short of where I was aiming for. Would it restart? Not even an adolescent attempt at effort... ::)

Still, only the brakes, front suspension and doubtless more rust and I can begin to consider getting it MoTd  ;)

There is always more  :D
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

aaronjb

« Reply #10971 on: 15 August 2015, 17:02:43 »

Finally finished the alternator on the BMW.. thanks to my Dad coming down so there were two of us, in the end the process went something like this:

Remove:

0) The engine top cover, air box and intake elbow
1) The radiator fan assembly (front upper slam panel off, upper radiator plastic cover off, lift the radiator fan assembly and fold in the tab on the right hand side then lift free)
2) The serpentine belt (T60 Torx into the tensioner on a long bar, take off the tension, remove belt)
3) Remove the idler pulley bolted to the alternator (lever off the front plastic cover, unbolt the T50 (or was it T45?) bolt in the centre with a breaker bar)
4) If you can, remove the idler pulley bolted to the belt tensioner (same as above. Sadly someone has previously mullered the bolt on mine by hammering an allen key into it ::) so we left it in position and levered the tensioner out of the way when necessary)
5) Get the car in the air on jack stands
6) Remove the front under tray (Thank you BMW for using half-turn quick release fixings!)
7) Remove the two large bolts securing the alternator to the engine
8) Remove the two 13mm bolts securing the PAS pump to the same bracket to give you more wiggle room
9) Unclip the main positive lead going to the alternator from the metal clips (one under the throttle body, one on the passenger head and one above the alternator)
10) Lever, wiggle, pull, curse, swear, remove knuckle skin, lever, curse, lever, crawl under the car, lever, get out, pull, crawl under, lever.. eventually you will be able to rotate the alternator slightly anticlockwise while simultaneously pulling it forward, down slightly and it will come off the mounts and out past the oil cooler thermostatic housing at the back.
11) Now put something heavy in front of the radiator fins (I used a thick car mat) and pull the alternator forward and tilt slightly vertical (drive pulley facing upward) till you can get to the 13mm battery +ve nut and the small clip-in connector at the rear. Undo these, you might have to get to the B+ nut from underneath
12) Withdraw alternator
13) Do the 30 second job of changing the regulator pack
14) ...

And as they say in Haynes, refitting is the reverse of removal. With more swearing. It's an absolute sod to get back into the space it came out from..

Hope I don't have to do that again in a hurry! At least the voltage now sits at ~14.3V rather than swinging from 11V to 18V..

05omegav6

« Reply #10972 on: 15 August 2015, 18:27:17 »

Did you change the chains whilst you were there? Joking aside, sounds like a right mission :o

aaronjb

« Reply #10973 on: 15 August 2015, 20:17:05 »

Some things are so nicely thought about - like the quick release under tray that doesn't rust on, or the fold in tabs on the fan assembly..

..and then they went and wedged the alternator somewhere you almost have to pull the engine to get at!

Ah well, the perils of 8 cylinders I suppose  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: 15 August 2015, 22:26:28 »

Finally finished the alternator on the BMW.. thanks to my Dad coming down so there were two of us, in the end the process went something like this:

Remove:

0) The engine top cover, air box and intake elbow
1) The radiator fan assembly (front upper slam panel off, upper radiator plastic cover off, lift the radiator fan assembly and fold in the tab on the right hand side then lift free)
2) The serpentine belt (T60 Torx into the tensioner on a long bar, take off the tension, remove belt)
3) Remove the idler pulley bolted to the alternator (lever off the front plastic cover, unbolt the T50 (or was it T45?) bolt in the centre with a breaker bar)
4) If you can, remove the idler pulley bolted to the belt tensioner (same as above. Sadly someone has previously mullered the bolt on mine by hammering an allen key into it ::) so we left it in position and levered the tensioner out of the way when necessary)
5) Get the car in the air on jack stands
6) Remove the front under tray (Thank you BMW for using half-turn quick release fixings!)
7) Remove the two large bolts securing the alternator to the engine
8) Remove the two 13mm bolts securing the PAS pump to the same bracket to give you more wiggle room
9) Unclip the main positive lead going to the alternator from the metal clips (one under the throttle body, one on the passenger head and one above the alternator)
10) Lever, wiggle, pull, curse, swear, remove knuckle skin, lever, curse, lever, crawl under the car, lever, get out, pull, crawl under, lever.. eventually you will be able to rotate the alternator slightly anticlockwise while simultaneously pulling it forward, down slightly and it will come off the mounts and out past the oil cooler thermostatic housing at the back.
11) Now put something heavy in front of the radiator fins (I used a thick car mat) and pull the alternator forward and tilt slightly vertical (drive pulley facing upward) till you can get to the 13mm battery +ve nut and the small clip-in connector at the rear. Undo these, you might have to get to the B+ nut from underneath
12) Withdraw alternator
13) Do the 30 second job of changing the regulator pack
14) ...

And as they say in Haynes, refitting is the reverse of removal. With more swearing. It's an absolute sod to get back into the space it came out from..

Hope I don't have to do that again in a hurry! At least the voltage now sits at ~14.3V rather than swinging from 11V to 18V..

So just one spanner rating in Haynes then. ::) ::) ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #10975 on: 15 August 2015, 22:48:18 »

;D  ;D probably! All the how-tos I could find on the internet had all of four steps..

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: 15 August 2015, 22:54:07 »

Changed the radiator for the correct type,,renewed thermostat just in case....flushed system...refilled...and drove it..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: 16 August 2015, 09:12:11 »

Drove it on petrol. On purpose.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: 16 August 2015, 10:17:57 »

Drove it on petrol. On purpose. And cried

Fixed ::)

I had to recently too...
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: 16 August 2015, 12:30:57 »

Drove it on petrol. On purpose. And cried

Fixed ::)

I had to recently too...
In my case, just trying to get trims to settle before its MOT...

...I suppose I could dig out the Tech2, but CBA
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.