Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3123259 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #25140 on: 02 May 2023, 22:04:36 »

Permanently disabled the stop/start BS. Can't believe it's taken me 3 1/2 years to get round to this.

How was that done then?  :-\

By fitting a normal battery instead of the stop/start rated one for twice the price?

Works on a Focus :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25141 on: 02 May 2023, 22:12:04 »

Permanently disabled the stop/start BS. Can't believe it's taken me 3 1/2 years to get round to this.

By fitting a normal battery instead of the stop/start rated one for twice the price?

which one? The one under my seat or the little 'bike battery' in the boot?  ::)

I believe there's a box of electrickery connected to the small battery that you can disconnect to disable the stop/start but I've never looked into it properly.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25142 on: 03 May 2023, 07:45:38 »

That is only working as the battery monitor thinks the battery is low (terminal voltage of a standard lead acid is slightly less than an AGM).

On the XE the there is a connector you disconnect in the boot

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25143 on: 03 May 2023, 09:14:06 »

That is only working as the battery monitor thinks the battery is low (terminal voltage of a standard lead acid is slightly less than an AGM).

On the XE the there is a connector you disconnect in the boot

On my Audi you can program it to either Default = On, Default = Off or Memory. The memory function is good because it will remember the last mode it was in when you turn off the car. So, if it was off when you parked, it will be off when you re-start the car, and vice versa if it was on when you parked. This covers those that like using it and those that don’t (me) without any need to do anything else. Obviously when ‘off’ is your chosen mode, even in memory mode, the switch light is on as a reminder.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25144 on: 03 May 2023, 09:20:15 »

Took me about a week after replacing the battery, which caused that stupid system to start working again.  Poxy stupid shite to appease the stupid and misinformed.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25145 on: 03 May 2023, 12:52:58 »

Took me about a week after replacing the battery, which caused that stupid system to start working again.  Poxy stupid shite to appease the stupid and misinformed.

Don't be like that TB.  You're saving the planet!  :y                                                                                        ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25146 on: 04 May 2023, 07:18:34 »

Its actually benficial to auto boxes as it reduces the oil sheer and heating which occurs when stationary, clearly not an issue with your driver involvement pack.

But other than that, its not a great system that is mandated by the powers that be

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25147 on: 04 May 2023, 08:17:06 »

Its actually benficial to auto boxes as it reduces the oil sheer and heating which occurs when stationary, clearly not an issue with your driver involvement pack.

But other than that, its not a great system that is mandated by the powers that be
I always put my box into N if I'm going to be stationary for more than a few seconds. It just doesn't feel right to leave it fighting the brake.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25148 on: 04 May 2023, 09:07:52 »

I always put my box into N if I'm going to be stationary for more than a few seconds. It just doesn't feel right to leave it fighting the brake.

I think you're in the minority .... most leave it in drive with the foot brake on or in some kind of HOLD. If it's just at a red light mine stay in auto with the brake on, if I think I'm going to be stopped for a good few minutes then I might put it in PARK (neutral & handbrake for the automated manual Smarts)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25149 on: 04 May 2023, 09:24:07 »

Yeh, BMW has auto hold which can be turned on or off so I use that in traffic.

V70 also has stop start - button on the dash gets pressed as soon as the car is started to turn that POS off.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #25150 on: 04 May 2023, 09:34:41 »

I presume thats why the AW boxes in older FWD Vauxhalls shift into N when held on the brake? Sold as a fuel saving feature on Vectra B.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25151 on: 04 May 2023, 10:20:43 »

I presume thats why the AW boxes in older FWD Vauxhalls shift into N when held on the brake? Sold as a fuel saving feature on Vectra B.

Yes, down side is a slower take off when you do need to move  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25152 on: 04 May 2023, 10:21:48 »

Helps a bit, but the torque converter is still in a state where there is low pressure oil being sloshed about

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #25153 on: 04 May 2023, 14:07:51 »

Yes, down side is a slower take off when you do need to move  :y

Yep, although you got used to pre-empting a move and releasing the brake a second earlier. bit like you have to with start stop I guess

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25154 on: 04 May 2023, 15:50:25 »

SWMBO had an auto Astra G that did that .... I never liked it  :(

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.