Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Drilling out exhaust Studs  (Read 6553 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Drilling out exhaust Studs
« Reply #75 on: 03 October 2011, 13:05:01 »

I forgot about those  :-X Although they work much the same as 'type 1' with an eccentric roller. Not tried those, though - do they work alright? ..........

Never tried one, though there was one in the shift cupboard where I use d to work. I've a set of the eccentric roller type that've been used a hand full of times, where possible I'll generally use Vice Grips. I've only been successful a hand full of times with Eazi-out type, as said, it's all too easy to end up with a snapped Eazi-out in the stud you're trying to remove.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #76 on: 03 October 2011, 13:40:29 »

:o ???

sparks, melting drilling..phew.. I see everyone already accept it wont come out..

slow down me thinks..let him do step by step.. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 03 October 2011, 13:50:45 »

I've got to get home and try the basics first! Won't be back home until Sunday  ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #78 on: 03 October 2011, 13:56:10 »

Tunnie, do what you do but dont break high quality steel or any material in the hole.. :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #79 on: 03 October 2011, 13:57:27 »

Tunnie, do what you do but dont break high quality steel or any material in the hole.. :y

and if you try drilling let someone spray some oil to cool the drill bit at the same time or it can easly break!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 03 October 2011, 16:01:36 »

Tunnie, you will have access to a decent quality roller extractor. If you break the rollers it's got a lifetime guarantee so don't worry ;)

As said, I doubt you'll be lucky enough to get all of them out with it and will probably end up drilling, but I do have a 90% success rate with them in the limited use they've had :y

As said, plusgas, heat and perseverance should see the drilling route reduced to the minimum possible... If these don't grip it enough to get it out then it's unlikely anything else will ::)

Although you may well have to get someone a little more manly to try for you as they will probably need a fair bit of grunt :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 03 October 2011, 16:22:50 »

Tunnie, you will have access to a decent quality roller extractor. If you break the rollers it's got a lifetime guarantee so don't worry ;)

As said, I doubt you'll be lucky enough to get all of them out with it and will probably end up drilling, but I do have a 90% success rate with them in the limited use they've had :y

As said, plusgas, heat and perseverance should see the drilling route reduced to the minimum possible... If these don't grip it enough to get it out then it's unlikely anything else will ::)

Although you may well have to get someone a little more manly to try for you as they will probably need a fair bit of grunt :-X ::)

I like those odds  :y

I've surprised myself lately, jobs I normally have to ask for fatty to help done all on my own  :o

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 03 October 2011, 16:52:35 »

I to have a high percentage succes rate with the roller type grips as shown, sadly its these bolts on the V6 exhausts bringing my average down!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 03 October 2011, 17:36:06 »

I to have a high percentage succes rate with the roller type grips as shown, sadly its these bolts on the V6 exhausts bringing my average down!
Yeah... I think all the failures have been exhaust bolts that had snapped (not always on an Omega though ::))

It has 2 chances and, at the end of the day, he has nothing to lose by trying it and everything to gain.

With heat, plenty of soaking and some shocking they will hopefully start moving

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #84 on: 03 October 2011, 18:24:37 »

;D :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 03 October 2011, 19:51:56 »

There are two kinds of extractors for studs;

there is actually a third  ;)

GOOD PIECE OF KIT!! had mine over 25years and it is very very successful at removing broken studs
" IF"
You can get onto it straight and hold it there whist undoing it I like them cos you can move it a fraction one way then reverse and little the other way and gradually work it loose, biggest problem with it is the sheer size of gap you need to get it on!!   

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 03 October 2011, 20:08:57 »

Yes, I have one to and you also need quite a lot of stud to get it on, I also have one with the cam on the bottom which supports less stud but twists easier.

In my experience, if the heat etc has not worked then they just sheear off, I suspect it will have had an exhaust in the past and had cheapo zinc pas bolts fitted.

feeutfo

« Reply #87 on: 03 October 2011, 21:59:02 »

No room for a stud exractor ime. Too close to the pipework.  :-\ it will just chew the stud anyway as it's seized already.

Just drill the bugger. Don't need to go all the way though. Remains will come loose long before. But if you do bugger the thread on the cat, use a smaller nut and bolt through the hole instead.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 03 October 2011, 22:35:35 »

No room for a stud exractor ime. Too close to the pipework.  :-\ it will just chew the stud anyway as it's seized already.

Just drill the bugger. Don't need to go all the way though. Remains will come loose long before. But if you do bugger the thread on the cat, use a smaller nut and bolt through the hole instead.
Should be able to get the roller extractor I'm lending him over... Not much bigger than a decent impact socket :y

The fact the tension has been removed and that (I assume) it's been well and truly soaked in Plusgas for a week or more may work in his favour. At the end of the day, there's too much "shaft" there to start drilling straight away really so he may as well try ;)

Even if he gets one out with the extractor, that's a good time saved with the drill ::)

feeutfo

« Reply #89 on: 03 October 2011, 23:43:58 »

Should be able to get the roller extractor I'm lending him over... Not much bigger than a decent impact socket :y

The fact the tension has been removed and that (I assume) it's been well and truly soaked in Plusgas for a week or more may work in his favour. At the end of the day, there's too much "shaft" there to start drilling straight away really so he may as well try ;)

Even if he gets one out with the extractor, that's a good time saved with the drill ::)
Not a hope. Waist of time. Angle grind the excess off and drill the rest. Will take two or three cobalt bits but it's the only way if it's sheared off already. The threads will have dragged the rusty end in, that's why it's sheared.

Although I do have a mental image of a pair of useless student legs and a length of flex spinning around "wallace and grommet" style under a jacked up omega ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.