Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3146012 times)

cd 2.2

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #7320 on: 30 March 2014, 22:58:56 »

Finished replacing the front wishbones and brakes to my car ... never seen Green brake fluid before, so that also got a complete flush and fluid change! It's not the easiest job, Bleeding your rear brakes up when you can't remove the back wheels  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: 31 March 2014, 17:14:00 »

Put a new switch in the faulty door motor that I replaced on the drivers side yesterday, and then put it in the passenger side. The Bullet now locks/unlocks on demand ;D

I'll fix the one that came out of the passenger side, so I have a spare :)

"Washed" all 3 cars. Both Omegas were done with a (very small) sponge using the one kitchen bowl technique, don't tell ianu ::).  The Battlebus just had the pressure washer fired at it. As TBE drove off into the distance, I thought it looked quite good :)
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: 31 March 2014, 18:38:33 »

I'm thinking about selling my motorbike, so serviced the back brake as it was seized solid through lack of use!  :-[

All freed up and I can at least push it around, as now it won't start!  ::)  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: 31 March 2014, 20:15:29 »

Swore lots ....

Changed both wishbones ... both ball joints would not come out of the pinch bolt holes with any ease at all ... despite the pinch bolt being completely removed and a cold chisel well buried in the "split" ... managed it eventually with a lump hammer and a drift on the boltheads of the ball joints .. I didn't want to muller the old ones as Joff  wishes to refurb them.. hopefully the damage is within allowable limits ..... :(

Swore lots .....

Offside new one in position, holes line up first time ... so I manage to drop the bolt into the chassis void ... :( .. drive to swidnod .. luckily Skurrays had bolts in stock .... bit of string around the bolt for safety, went in first go ......offside TRE adjusters checked, nice and free ...

Swore lots ....

Nearside new one would not line up, simply could not get the vertical bolt in even after an hour. Took it all apart again, went for coffee, back out .. lined up first time ..... but then the ball joint would not go in ... took over an hour before that suddenly just decided to go.....  nearside TRE adjusters "solid as a rock" .. now soaked in plusgas ...

Swore lots ....

Both rear TRE adjusters also seized solid .. more plusgas

So tomorrow its more plusgas and possibly the weedburner to heat them up, if that fails its take the whole things off and use the kitchen stove .... as, according to Mark DTM .... heat always wins ....

wondering how much the bolt in the chassis rail will rattle ... might have to squirt some waxoil down it if its too noisey ...

:(

« Last Edit: 31 March 2014, 20:17:11 by Entwood »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: 31 March 2014, 20:24:23 »

Swore lots ....

Changed both wishbones ... both ball joints would not come out of the pinch bolt holes with any ease at all ... despite the pinch bolt being completely removed and a cold chisel well buried in the "split" ... managed it eventually with a lump hammer and a drift on the boltheads of the ball joints .. I didn't want to muller the old ones as Joff  wishes to refurb them.. hopefully the damage is within allowable limits ..... :(

Swore lots .....

Offside new one in position, holes line up first time ... so I manage to drop the bolt into the chassis void ... :( .. drive to swidnod .. luckily Skurrays had bolts in stock .... bit of string around the bolt for safety, went in first go ......offside TRE adjusters checked, nice and free ...

Swore lots ....

Nearside new one would not line up, simply could not get the vertical bolt in even after an hour. Took it all apart again, went for coffee, back out .. lined up first time ..... but then the ball joint would not go in ... took over an hour before that suddenly just decided to go.....  nearside TRE adjusters "solid as a rock" .. now soaked in plusgas ...

Swore lots ....

Both rear TRE adjusters also seized solid .. more plusgas

So tomorrow its more plusgas and possibly the weedburner to heat them up, if that fails its take the whole things off and use the kitchen stove .... as, according to Mark DTM .... heat always wins ....

wondering how much the bolt in the chassis rail will rattle ... might have to squirt some waxoil down it if its too noisey ...

So tomorrow's job is empty the swearbox then ??? ;D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

cd 2.2

« Reply #7325 on: 31 March 2014, 20:29:46 »

Swore at my car all afternoon ... stupid f*c*i*g piece of sh*t, How the f**k can a stupid exhaust not part ways at the front joint ??? And now it's raining  >:( I hate living in this stupid wet miserable country  ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #7326 on: 31 March 2014, 20:43:17 »

17° and dry all day here ;D

Don't worry about that bolt Nige, I've dropped two, and can't hear (or find) either of them ;D sympathise about the wishbones though nearside one is always a bastid for some reason :-\

Heat and mole grips free the rear track rods a treat :y they need to be glowing though, so wear gloves :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: 31 March 2014, 21:21:25 »

Don't worry about that bolt Nige, I've dropped two, and can't hear (or find) either of them ;D sympathise about the wishbones though nearside one is always a bastid for some reason :-\

Heat and mole grips free the rear track rods a treat :y they need to be glowing though, so wear gloves :y

Doubt I can get them that hot in situ ... weedburner is the only portable source of flame I have ... so probably have to take them off .. which knowing my luck will bugger the ball joints ... anyone know how much complete replacements are ??

05omegav6

« Reply #7328 on: 31 March 2014, 21:35:28 »

cd 2.2

« Reply #7329 on: 01 April 2014, 00:12:39 »

woopee Just got the exhaust free of the car  :o

My neighbours (they are so tolerant of me and my car) must think I'm an insomniac tourettes sufferer  :D 

chrisgixer

« Reply #7330 on: 01 April 2014, 01:35:31 »

Doubt I can get them that hot in situ ... weedburner is the only portable source of flame I have ... so probably have to take them off .. which knowing my luck will bugger the ball joints ... anyone know how much complete replacements are ??

You should be able to get the bolt out with a magnet on a stick. With patience. It will rattle.

But if you'd followed the guide and stuck a rag in the subframe hole.... ::)  :P ;) ;D

omega3000

« Reply #7331 on: 01 April 2014, 07:03:06 »

Swore at my car all afternoon ... stupid f*c*i*g piece of sh*t, How the f**k can a stupid exhaust not part ways at the front joint ??? And now it's raining  >:( I hate living in this stupid wet miserable country  ::)

;D ;D

piece and harmony ..be as one with your ride  :D its all worth it in the end  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: 01 April 2014, 09:29:55 »

Rears are dead easy, just taken them off(which is easy to do), bang them in a vice and apply some heat.

They dont need to be anywhere near glowing, they will free up long before then.

Then remove the threaded rod sections (count the turns), clean with a wire brush, apply grease and refit....they wont ever sieze again then in my experience.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: 01 April 2014, 13:41:28 »

Rears are dead easy, just taken them off(which is easy to do), bang them in a vice and apply some heat.

They dont need to be anywhere near glowing, they will free up long before then.

Then remove the threaded rod sections (count the turns), clean with a wire brush, apply grease and refit....they wont ever sieze again then in my experience.

ordered one of these .. (but not from them ..  :)  )

http://www.toolbank.com/1711/p/GAZTHP3000PZ

hopefully man enough to do the job ??

aaronjb

« Reply #7334 on: 01 April 2014, 13:55:16 »

This is what I have, along with a can of MAPP gas: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rothenberger-Superfire-2-Gas-Soldering-Brazing-Blow-Torch-Mapp-or-Propane-/291112233086

Gets things nice and toasty and is about as good as you can get without getting an acetylene torch in (which isn't really practical in a home setting!)

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.