Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3143753 times)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #10365 on: 07 June 2015, 21:35:24 »

Changed the poor plastic swirl flap connectors and rod for shiny new brass ones.

Much more positive and defined movement than the old one.

A job I had been putting off, but was very easy in reality.

Lets see if it alters the Zafiras performance at all, and keeps that code at bay.

They can be removed completely on the beemers. ....?
I thought the big problem with beemers was that the swirl flaps remove themselves  :-\ (and then chew lumps out f the turbo vanes)

The swirl flaps allow the ECU to control the turbo pressure directly, rather than relying on a waste gate to dump excess pressure after the event. I don't see that removing the swirl flaps is going to work too well.  :-\

Afaik it's Nout to do with turbo and to do with swirling the intake mixture into the combustion chamber. Extra Intake pressure from the turbo can't possibly help something made of plastic though, true enough.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: 07 June 2015, 21:43:24 »

Paid £7.50 for a set of new 3.0l plug leads at the Bromley Pageant this afternoon.

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now: just like most of the bits I've bought over the last 4 1/2 years, they're not GM.

No, I don't care.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: 07 June 2015, 21:45:07 »

Paid £7.50 for a set of new 3.0l plug leads at the Bromley Pageant this afternoon.

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now: just like most of the bits I've bought over the last 4 1/2 years, they're not GM.

No, I don't care.

We dont care either. But do hope they last more than a week when recommending. :)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: 07 June 2015, 21:51:56 »

Changed the poor plastic swirl flap connectors and rod for shiny new brass ones.

Lets see if it alters the Zafiras performance at all, and keeps that code at bay.

I thought the big problem with beemers was that the swirl flaps remove themselves  :-\ (and then chew lumps out f the turbo vanes)

The swirl flaps allow the ECU to control the turbo pressure directly, rather than relying on a waste gate to dump excess pressure after the event. I don't see that removing the swirl flaps is going to work too well.  :-\

Afaik it's Nout to do with turbo and to do with swirling the intake mixture into the combustion chamber. Extra Intake pressure from the turbo can't possibly help something made of plastic though, true enough.
I am still learning about diseasals and swirl flaps. We have recently bought a Ford Galaxy with the VW AUY 1.9 tdi engine. The swirl flaps in that engine direct the exhaust into the turbo. Full boost occurs with maximum swirl from the swirl flaps.
With ours the flaps are sticky when the engine is cold and it is prone to going into limp mode and complaining about excessive boost pressure.

Quite prepared to accept that different manufacturers might use the same word for a completely different component though.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: 07 June 2015, 21:54:10 »

Indeed. Hence the question to Jimbob. (...?)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: 08 June 2015, 08:01:50 »

There are removal kits out there....but didnt really think about that option.

Im my, and most 1.9 cases, its the plastic connectors on the actuator rod that wear, or fall off resulting in sloppy movement.

This component replaces them with nice brass versions and the movement is much better
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAR-KIT-BRASS-VAUXHALL-CDTI-SAAB-TID-MANIFOLD-SWIRL-FLAP-ROD-REPAIR-1-9-/161204031746?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2588825102

It has improved the engine behavior, and seems smoother.
Still needs a good service today, so will report back further when everything is as it should be.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: 08 June 2015, 09:06:09 »

I am still learning about diseasals and swirl flaps. We have recently bought a Ford Galaxy with the VW AUY 1.9 tdi engine. The swirl flaps in that engine direct the exhaust into the turbo. Full boost occurs with maximum swirl from the swirl flaps.
With ours the flaps are sticky when the engine is cold and it is prone to going into limp mode and complaining about excessive boost pressure.

Quite prepared to accept that different manufacturers might use the same word for a completely different component though.

Your getting confused

Swirl flaps on all engines sit in the inlet and control the air into the cylinder on multi valve engines (not fitted to 8V ones)

The turbo has a variable vane setup which utilises a set of flaps to direct the exhaust gasses onto the turbo turbine.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: 08 June 2015, 11:45:36 »

Your getting confused

Swirl flaps on all engines sit in the inlet and control the air into the cylinder on multi valve engines (not fitted to 8V ones)

The turbo has a variable vane setup which utilises a set of flaps to direct the exhaust gasses onto the turbo turbine.
Thanks for that. :y
I had no idea that anybody was fitting movable flaps in the intake ports - I thought swirl flaps was another name for the variable vanes in the turbo (on account of them being flaps that control the amount of swirl into the turbo  ::) )
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: 08 June 2015, 12:25:36 »

Its done to create a swirl effect in the cylinders at lower revs, in a multivalve engine you obviously don't get any natural swirl so the flaps throttle back one of the inlet ports resulting in air swirling in the chamber.

This improves combustion.

Not such an issue once the turbo is spooling so they then open.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: 08 June 2015, 14:13:38 »

Finished the job now,

New Air filter, oil & Filter, clean of boost valve and egr

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: 08 June 2015, 15:19:32 »

Got the electric seats and sunroof to open after the previous owner never realized it had electric seats  ::) Took a while to make the seat move drivers side but with plenty of maint spray it all works luvely  :)
Omegatitis

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: 08 June 2015, 19:26:58 »

And an oil and filter change on big blue along with a quick pre mot check ahead of next week. Possible tyre wear advisories (camber) possible steering play. Nothing to major with luck

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #10377 on: 09 June 2015, 14:51:03 »

Finally got round to wiring in the DAB unit properly  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: 09 June 2015, 20:48:43 »

Put some liquid in the PAS bottle ;D
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: 09 June 2015, 21:43:47 »

PAS fluid on both cars, 2.2 not had fresh oil in nearly 5k, still looks quite clear though. 3.2 needs a change though!

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.