Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3123610 times)

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #12930 on: 11 August 2016, 00:45:54 »

I fixed the windscreen washer jets to angle onto the windscreen,what a job, my wife had to help   ;), they would only go to the bottom of the windscreen or over the roof. They where really tight to move . Both are now hitting the screen instead of the roof and any one who was behind the car behind. Now working properly :) :)  :y.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12931 on: 11 August 2016, 12:16:51 »

Changed batteries over between the W reg ebay bargain daily runaround (good condition but not been off for about 5 years), and the X reg project car (keep having to trickle charge) which goes for its first MOT in 4 years tomorrow.

Retaining clamp bolt sheared off removing good battery - bummer, another job needs doing now, dependant on what the future holds for it. 
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12932 on: 11 August 2016, 12:26:06 »

An hour and a half trying to drill out the pesky locking wheel nut. Get fed up and had a break by fitting my new number plates and irmscher number plate holders. That cheered me up no end.  8) ;D
Bck to the drill now until its tome to go to work.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: 11 August 2016, 17:20:38 »

due to a catastrophic error of judgement on my part bust my sump pan  :'( ,dumped oil at side of the road and ironically was on my way for an mot and cambelt change.hopefully just needs a new pan which I have in the spares shed.
John.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12934 on: 12 August 2016, 00:55:01 »

Started on the new project...

Bought it knowing it had at least two stock oil leaks: Oil filter housing gasket, old one came of in twelve pieces, and camcover gasket... just like the Omega one, only far more substantial and you don't need to remove the inlet manifold to change it :D

So for todays effort:
the breather system has been replaced;
the oil filter housing removed, cleaned, resealed and refitted;
sump/front suspension degreased and undertray refitted;
alternator air intake unblocked and 15 years of road detritus removed from back of alternator.
Pollen filter drains cleaned and unblocked.

Tomorrow will be the camcover gasket to finish, fill with fresh oil and start cleaning it.

Future jobs include a full service kit... only changed the oil to give the new breathers and seals a fighting chance... will do a proper service next month;
At least one rear wheel bearing, possibly both... test drive was just long enough to check for gearbox function and road manners/braking oddities;
New tyres... current ones all perfectly legal, but all different...;
Both aux belts and pullies, precautionary rather than required;
Coolant change in October...

First impression is that it's easy to work on. Ok, you might need to remove things to get at what you're aiming for, but everything seems to be reasonably accessible in a logical order. Alternator could be removed, rebrushed and refitted in an hour if needed. Suspect the V8 would be a different story though... All in all car feels like it was  designed and engineered rather than built to a budget. If you had asked me a week ago if the 525 was worth the price premium new against an equivalent Omega, I would have said no. But after driving it home and getting my hands dirty, I have to say that actually it was worth every penny...

Also, when was the last time your local Vauxhall dealer opened their parts and service desks at 7am? Or closed at 7pm? Not only that, when I enquired on the phone about price/availability of various bits, I was told that they were all in stock. Popped in yesterday on way home from work only to be told that there were a couple of items that they didn't have. Expecting the stock Vx response of 'Two weeks from Germany and we need paying for it to order it...', I was pleasantly surprised by the response of ' Be in by 1. You can pay for it all when you come back later... '.

It's a whole different world out there... 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #12935 on: 12 August 2016, 09:28:32 »

Picked some more flaked scabs of laquer off the omegas bonnet  ::)
Omegatitis

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: 12 August 2016, 17:49:22 »

All in all car feels like it was  designed and engineered rather than built to a budget. If you had asked me a week ago if the 525 was worth the price premium new against an equivalent Omega, I would have said no. But after driving it home and getting my hands dirty, I have to say that actually it was worth every penny...
That's the key reason they bought Rover ;). How ironic.

when I enquired on the phone about price/availability of various bits, I was told that they were all in stock. Popped in yesterday on way home from work only to be told that there were a couple of items that they didn't have.
Its a newer car.  Try phoning a dealer for Astra-H parts, you'll find good stock levels.  Try phoning a BMW for parts for their last decent car, and you'll have to explain what it is.  Been there, done that, temper found a few hours later.
Grumpy old man

jimbo125

• Intermediate Member
  • Camberley
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12937 on: 12 August 2016, 22:51:59 »

At last got the 2.5 started today and it sounded like a diesel for the first 10-15 minutes until the cleaned and serviced valve followers fully pressurised, temp came up to 95 degrees and stayed there and the heater worked - nice and toasty. No oil or water leaks. What a joy to have her running after 7 month on the drive and a head service and rebuild.
2.5V6 Had it since 2002, what a beast, worth the time and effort to keep it road worthy. Vauxhall bring them back!!! Laser timing kit for OOF member hire

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: 12 August 2016, 23:08:27 »

It's a '51 plate, so well into Omega territory  ;)

Key difference, I guess, is that the engine and it's derivatives are widely used... :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: 12 August 2016, 23:22:32 »

It's a '51 plate, so well into Omega territory  ;)

Key difference, I guess, is that the engine and it's derivatives are widely used... :-\
  BMW part department it's lot better organise then vxl . Most of parts are available for next day, even older model from Germany take up to 5 days .

Only downside of this engine is if head gasket go then it's Very expensive to replace  :(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: 13 August 2016, 08:03:39 »

You won't think your BMW engine is easy to work on when anything on the inlet side needs attention! They made the engine look tidy by stuffing all the fiddly bits German engineers love under there. The V8s are actually better, because everything is between the heads.

There's a lot of plastic in the cooling system  that doesn't last well. And an overheated aluminium six is usually irreparable.

The only real improvement for me is the front suspension. Not because it's better or more durable, that isn't possible for struts on a heavy car. By not being adjustable, it doesn't need fiddling with every twenty miles, and maintenance consists of simple parts swapping.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: 13 August 2016, 10:38:06 »

Went in to my local stealers 2 weeks ago for some door check strap bushes, fella says, after looking, that they had some in stock, how many would you like? Ok says i, will take 4. Off he goes, comes back 5min later and says "sorry but these are earmarked for someone else", give me your mobile no. and will text you when they arrive. Still waiting.  :'(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12942 on: 13 August 2016, 12:36:48 »

Went in to my local stealers 2 weeks ago for some door check strap bushes, fella says, after looking, that they had some in stock, how many would you like? Ok says i, will take 4. Off he goes, comes back 5min later and says "sorry but these are earmarked for someone else", give me your mobile no. and will text you when they arrive. Still waiting.  :'(

Unusual for Andy, assuming you went to Drive?
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12943 on: 13 August 2016, 13:20:54 »

Unusual for Andy, assuming you went to Drive?

Thought he left, waits to be corrected.
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12944 on: 13 August 2016, 18:11:46 »

Just think he was stopped from selling parts to here I thought  :-\

(Because of Vauxhalls rule, not OOF)

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.