Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Prize!  (Read 12148 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: The Prize!
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2012, 20:49:21 »

Make absolutley sure you connect the plug leads up correctly as the ones for the 2-4-6 do NOT connect 2-4-6 s you would expect......common mistake but the correct connections are written on the DIS pack.

Thanks Mark.

yep already aware of that. Why 2-6-4 on the disspac I wonder?  :-\
Its to do with firing order, and the fact it uses a wasted spark principle.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2012, 20:53:59 »

The 1/2 moon is visible to the left end of your photo ... the cam cover is "flat" at the same point, so a large "1/2 moon" of rubber is a part of the gasket ..... it has a tendency to a life of its own and to move ... but when fitted correctly is a snug, smooth fit. Small amounts of black sealant on the "sharp" corners as per the guide.

Once you see the gasket/cover of it will all make some sort of sense .. :)

I take it you have read/printed off the guide ???

Aaaaaaha! Now it all makes sense!!!! I can see how that would go pear-shaped! Is the 1/2 moon gasket that ''slots'' in quite stiff or is it like playing pool with a length of rope?  ::)

No need to print guide.... it will be open on my laptop nearby in case I get stuck  :y :y :y

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2012, 20:59:05 »

The 1/2 moon is visible to the left end of your photo ... the cam cover is "flat" at the same point, so a large "1/2 moon" of rubber is a part of the gasket ..... it has a tendency to a life of its own and to move ... but when fitted correctly is a snug, smooth fit. Small amounts of black sealant on the "sharp" corners as per the guide.

Aaaaaaha! Now it all makes sense!!!! I can see how that would go pear-shaped! Is the 1/2 moon gasket that ''slots'' in quite stiff or is it like playing pool with a length of rope?  ::)

No need to print guide.... it will be open on my laptop nearby in case I get stuck  :y :y :y

The 1/2 moon itself is quite firm, but where it attaches to the rest of the gasket is "floppy" which is why, IMHO it tends to move. it is "shaped" to sit on the metal, and once lined up does fit well.. it is just a matter of ensuring it IS seated well before tightening everything up .... hence the use of torch/mirror ... I'm told the "experts" can do it by feel.. just running a finger around the 1/2 moon once the cover is in position  ... obviously whoever calibrated my fingers failed to do the job correctly !!!

:)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2012, 21:14:05 »

The 1/2 moon itself is quite firm, but where it attaches to the rest of the gasket is "floppy" which is why, IMHO it tends to move. it is "shaped" to sit on the metal, and once lined up does fit well.. it is just a matter of ensuring it IS seated well before tightening everything up .... hence the use of torch/mirror ... I'm told the "experts" can do it by feel.. just running a finger around the 1/2 moon once the cover is in position  ... obviously whoever calibrated my fingers failed to do the job correctly !!!

:)

Excellent.... Airfix all over again  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Cheers mate, thats really helpful  :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2012, 21:25:13 »

Its simple, the setup works on the waisted spark principle e.g. it fires one cylinder close to top dead centre on the compression stroke and another one which is top dead centre on the exhaust stroke.

As we have six cylinders and the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 we get

Compression   Exhaust

So if we now consider the coil pack we get

5-3-1
2-6-4

Simples.......but not obvious!

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2012, 21:37:21 »

Thanks for the info Mark. gonna be honest I don't really get it  :-[ but I appreciate the attempt to educate a prat  :D ;D :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2012, 21:41:18 »

The basics are that the DIS pack contains three coils.....the ends of each coil are connected to a spark plug and hence each coil fires two spark plugs.

On a compressions stroke (e.g. where you want to light the fuel air max) you need 20,000 volts, on an exaust cycle (where your pumping the exhaust gases down the exhaust) you need about 2,000 volts. Hence its called a wasted spark (as the one on the exhaust cycle is doing nothing henc eits wasted).

And the above explains why certain cylinders are connected as they are.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 March 2012, 21:45:42 »

The basics are that the DIS pack contains three coils.....the ends of each coil are connected to a spark plug and hence each coil fires two spark plugs.

On a compressions stroke (e.g. where you want to light the fuel air max) you need 20,000 volts, on an exaust cycle (where your pumping the exhaust gases down the exhaust) you need about 2,000 volts. Hence its called a wasted spark (as the one on the exhaust cycle is doing nothing henc eits wasted).

And the above explains why certain cylinders are connected as they are.

By just saying that I now get it! I didn't realise that. Thanks mate ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #38 on: 05 March 2012, 21:53:58 »

Diss pack needs to be earthed mate - usually earths thro fixing bolts!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 March 2012, 21:56:49 »

I see... so that's why it's bolted down! So maybe my idea of strapping it to the cable tray won't work then?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 March 2012, 21:57:45 »

All together now......ow no it doesn't  :y

omega3000

« Reply #41 on: 05 March 2012, 22:15:07 »

was quoted £70 inc. VAT   
I was quoted that over the phone , then when i picked it up they charged me £46 so i grabbed it and made a sharp exit  :-X If its a BOSCH rip his arm off ...cheapest i could get bosch was £110 . Check the old one first RALF might not need one at all  ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 March 2012, 22:20:00 »

was quoted £70 inc. VAT   
I was quoted that over the phone , then when i picked it up they charged me £46 so i grabbed it and made a sharp exit  :-X If its a BOSCH rip his arm off ...cheapest i could get bosch was £110 . Check the old one first RALF might not need one at all  ;)

;D ;D ;D cheers Steve. Yeah, i've convinced myself it's the leads anyway so could save myself some bucks  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 March 2012, 16:25:29 »

was quoted £70 inc. VAT   
i dont need one anyway ha ha ;D ;D ;D ;D

omega3000

« Reply #44 on: 06 March 2012, 19:04:58 »

was quoted £70 inc. VAT   
i dont need one anyway ha ha ;D ;D ;D ;D

No but RALF 2 does might  ;)
« Last Edit: 06 March 2012, 19:08:44 by eatmydust »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.