Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 6917069 times)

0 Members and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doctor Gollum

  • Get A Life!!
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • Posts: 31077
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #29070 on: 06 October 2026, 09:57:42 »

And the software allowed you to work on ECU SW versions it didn't support?  Thats pretty crap TBH
It's a learning curve and not helped by latency in the pass through. It didn't give me the same Xentry access as it does on the older S Class, and that should have been a red flag. Also the vehicle list suggests that it won't do much after 2007/8... Suggesting and older version of Xentry to begin with. It's always struggled to communicate with the engine ECZu and I hadn't really considered that this could have been an equipment issue.

The new software is 2025, so should be better and uses a Lan? cable rather than usb along with a DOIP interface rather than a generic VCM pass through.

The cheaper set up got most of what I needed to do on the S Class... Its replacement should be able to cope with everything I can throw at it ;)
Logged
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

  • Get A Life!!
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • West Dorset
  • Posts: 25395
    • BMW 530d Touring
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #29071 on: 06 October 2026, 14:19:35 »

I remembered to close all the windows this time!  ;D
That means you have to clean the inside as well ;D

Nope, luckily I had the windows up as I went through the mucky farmyard.  :y 
Logged
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • West Bridgford
  • Posts: 34169
  • Git!
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #29072 on: 06 October 2026, 15:04:58 »

And the software allowed you to work on ECU SW versions it didn't support?  Thats pretty crap TBH

That is also not compliant to the ISO EOBD standards.

The diag tool should request access to an extended session using the service ID and 0x03,

ECU then responds with positive response (or a negative one if busy e.g engine running etc)

Diag tool under the standard then has to check the ECU ID against the reference list it has, only then can it execute any security access (e.g. PIN entry as per the Omega) and carry out programming or config changes, whilst alwasy sending Tester Present periodicially to stop things going to sleep

Logged

Doctor Gollum

  • Get A Life!!
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • Posts: 31077
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #29073 on: 06 October 2026, 15:31:16 »

Had it been a prefacelift car, it would have probably been ok...

I have previously had issues connecting to the engine ECUs and presumed that it was because the engine had been running to maintain voltage...

With two cars available, I figured I could use one as a generator and retry the programming to switch cruise from off to on with the engine off using TPC as a generator.

Scan suggested that the software on the ECU was out of date and the update process seemed to be satisfactory. Until I rescanned the car and basically it had apparently managed to totally screw up the coding on the ECU with no way to manually correct it.

The new kit should resolve this even if I have to manually go through the ECU set up as everything should be tick box in the same way as the S Class was
Logged
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

  • Omega Queen
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Essex / Suffolk border.
  • Posts: 13341
    • 3.2 Elite. Nissan Leaf.
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #29074 on: Yesterday at 13:59:28 »

Turns out, in all the wiggling to separate the pipes, I broke another rigid plastic coolant hose.  So replaced that as well now, and put some coolant back in it.


As it's taken a little longer than planned, she's been using my car, which is no bad thing, as I will be changing the oil on age rather than mileage soon.....    ....and I replace it at 1yr or 4k, whichever comes first ;D

Someone on Autoshite forum is breaking a 2009 XF 3.0 Diesel. If any parts are of interest give me a shout and I could arrange to buy them.
Logged
Its weird being the same age as old people !

TheBoy

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Brackley, Northants
  • Posts: 108285
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #29075 on: Today at 14:08:52 »

Turns out, in all the wiggling to separate the pipes, I broke another rigid plastic coolant hose.  So replaced that as well now, and put some coolant back in it.


As it's taken a little longer than planned, she's been using my car, which is no bad thing, as I will be changing the oil on age rather than mileage soon.....    ....and I replace it at 1yr or 4k, whichever comes first ;D

Someone on Autoshite forum is breaking a 2009 XF 3.0 Diesel. If any parts are of interest give me a shout and I could arrange to buy them.
Thanks for that.  Turns out my XJ is being surprisingly reliable, other than a rad leak a few months back (and an o-ring failing during that time that needed a complete new pipe!).

Now we've got to the bottom of the coolant loss (and asscoiated oil warning on hot start) on her little 2l, hers is being reliable as well, aside from moaning it needs a new glow plug that I need to think about doing soon before it gets proper cold ;D
Logged
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Brackley, Northants
  • Posts: 108285
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #29076 on: Today at 14:09:47 »

Well, her engine module is moaning about other shit as well, but that be because somebody hates stop-start technology with such a passion, he's unplugged stuff to disable that shit ;D
Logged
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

  • Omega Lord
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
  • Posts: 9359
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #29077 on: Today at 18:22:07 »

Had a recall sorted on the Volvo S80
Logged
 

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.