Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3146445 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #13485 on: 20 November 2016, 20:27:47 »

Went to put some electricity in the Battlebus, but the charger was complaining it was faulty before I connected it. I should have tested the charger before I took battery off the car, knowing how unreliable these Halfords chargers are*

Couldn't be arsed to put battery back on, job for another day.

* Halfords Smartcharge 200, a rebadged Ring RSC605, 5th one I've had in about 2yrs. Not recommended.
Switched it on and off a dozen times, seems to be working again. Poxy thing.
Grumpy old man

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13486 on: 20 November 2016, 21:13:56 »

Got it up on ramps to replace some broken exhaust rubbers.

When I got underneath I found that the brackets both ends of the back box had separated from the body due to tinworm  :( and the rubbers either side of the centre boxes had both snapped  :(

The whole exhaust system was hanging from the downpipes without any visible means of support (which is both scary and rather impressive given the amount of weight involved)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13487 on: 21 November 2016, 11:09:48 »

When I got underneath I found that the brackets both ends of the back box had separated from the body due to tinworm  :( and the rubbers either side of the centre boxes had both snapped  :(

The whole exhaust system was hanging from the downpipes without any visible means of support (which is both scary and rather impressive given the amount of weight involved)

Wow!, that would have been interesting on your next trip. :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13488 on: 21 November 2016, 18:48:17 »

Bought it a present (to be shared with my 190).
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/dash-cams/nextbase-212-lite-dash-cam-black-10147076-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xxtrpqrxpm&istBid=t&gclid=CKr0vuG-utACFQPqGQodiZUNzg&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CMXcxeG-utACFQyC7QodvmMH_g

MOT runs out in a few days. Need to clear the code to get emissions light off. Tried yesterday, but naff code reader claims to be not working. I might have a go later with my generic code reader.
Also, o/s indicator light on the dash has become a bit intermittent since I had the clocks out a week or so ago, so that might need a bit of attention too.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13489 on: 21 November 2016, 19:35:39 »

Wow!, that would have been interesting on your next trip. :y
I haven't decided yet whether there will be a 'next trip' for my Omega :(

With a 2 year old and a 9 month old baby in the house I just don't seem to be able to carry out anything more than the most basic of maintenance (oil, filter, brakes, cam belts [at a push]). Fabricating a new box section and welding it into place is beyond my current capabilities even though 3 years ago it would have been a task I would have relished :(

For the moment I have cobbled together a 12mm bolt and some large square washers to support the hanger at the tail of the backbox. That should be good enough to get me 1/2 mile to my local garage to see if they feel like doing the job for me. :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13490 on: 21 November 2016, 21:57:52 »

When the rear hanger on my plod estate fell off :-X I replaced it with one from a breaker still attached to the rear corner of the chassis rail/ boot floor... trimmed down to fit and then bonded and bolted to the freshly cleaned up/treated chassis rail/boot floor and clamped firmly in place with the towbar bracket :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13491 on: 21 November 2016, 22:13:54 »

When the rear hanger on my plod estate fell off :-X I replaced it with one from a breaker still attached to the rear corner of the chassis rail/ boot floor... trimmed down to fit and then bonded and bolted to the freshly cleaned up/treated chassis rail/boot floor and clamped firmly in place with the towbar bracket :y
My concern is that both the rearmost hanger and the one in front of the backbox should be welded to bits of box section that form cross members under the boot floor. Both box members look a bit crusty. Lack of time and the fact that I was wrestling with the exhaust while on my back outside between drenchings by storm Angus meant that I didn't get as far as poking the box sections with an old screwdriver to see if there was anything left to weld to. :(

Stargazer57N

« Reply #13492 on: 23 November 2016, 22:01:55 »

Fitted a new indicator relay to the Omega. Other drivers now know where I'm going and I no longer feel like a BMW driver. ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13493 on: 24 November 2016, 18:05:33 »

Went to put some oil in it, and missed completely. 'dangle berries'.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13494 on: 24 November 2016, 18:09:07 »

Realised the MOT ran out 3 days ago.  :-[
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ted_one

« Reply #13495 on: 26 November 2016, 09:03:48 »

Took the 3.0 MV6 in for its MOT yesterday, no problems other than a bit of play in the steering idler which has failed after 7000 miles.Thought Febi products were of reasonable quality..or may be not :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13496 on: 26 November 2016, 09:30:35 »

Took the 3.0 MV6 in for its MOT yesterday, no problems other than a bit of play in the steering idler which has failed after 7000 miles.Thought Febi products were of reasonable quality..or may be not :-\
TBH, for the idler, go GM only now. It hurts paying nearly £70 for it, but all the patterns are useless now.  I'm impressed you managed 7000 miles out of a Febi one, unless its been failed for a while and you haven't checked it or noticed through driving.
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13497 on: 26 November 2016, 09:43:20 »

There are some new polish bushes available here in hoof'land, for the idler, I haven't tried one yet, but the quality looked good, you know who to call. ;)
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13498 on: 26 November 2016, 10:08:18 »

There are some new polish bushes available here in hoof'land, for the idler, I haven't tried one yet, but the quality looked good, you know who to call. ;)
Good to know :y

Be good to have a diary of how people get on with them as well :y
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13499 on: 26 November 2016, 10:12:38 »

TBH, for the idler, go GM only now. It hurts paying nearly £70 for it, but all the patterns are useless now.  I'm impressed you managed 7000 miles out of a Febi one, unless its been failed for a while and you haven't checked it or noticed through driving.

Or the MOT tester is mistaking the natural movement for the idler to work as wear.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.