Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3145260 times)

05omegav6

Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #7425 on: 05 April 2014, 15:09:12 »

All good in the end then :y

Some people would kill for their cars to drift ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: 05 April 2014, 15:41:21 »

17° and dry all day here ;D

Don't worry about that bolt Nige, I've dropped two, and can't hear (or find) either of them ;D sympathise about the wishbones though nearside one is always a bastid for some reason :-\

Heat and mole grips free the rear track rods a treat :y they need to be glowing though, so wear gloves :y

Doubt I can get them that hot in situ ... weedburner is the only portable source of flame I have ... so probably have to take them off .. which knowing my luck will bugger the ball joints ... anyone know how much complete replacements are ??

:(

Rears are dead easy, just taken them off(which is easy to do), bang them in a vice and apply some heat.

They dont need to be anywhere near glowing, they will free up long before then.

Then remove the threaded rod sections (count the turns), clean with a wire brush, apply grease and refit....they wont ever sieze again then in my experience.

Now there's a question ... which grease ??

I have Copper, High Temp Grey Lithium [Castrol LM], High Temp Molybdenum Disulphite [Castrol MS3] and a very small amount of Silicon .....

I know Chris swears by "white grease".... but that covers a multitude of varieties... so which "white" greae ?? or one of those I already have?? :)

BTW  I HATE aerosol greases.. so tubs/tubes only as suggestions please :)

Rewinding the thread a tad .... while working on the car this morning and applying generous amounts of copper grease to the new control arms, a neighbour stopped to chat and was surprised at what I was doing with the grease, until I explained ...

He has just dropped round and given me an unopened tub of some stuff he bought but never used .. its a white grease with zinc-oxide added... identical product on fleabay is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATER-REPELLANT-WHITE-GREASE-MARINE-OR-AUTOMOTIVE-500G-TUB-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-BC41/400572055428

Is this stuff any use ???

05omegav6

« Reply #7427 on: 05 April 2014, 16:31:29 »

Could use that for a myriad of things :y obvious items being sunroof gubbins, door latches/hinges, handbrake/trailer brake linkages etc :y

Probably as good as copper slip on suspension joints, not sure the temp range is high enough for brake/bearing use though :-\ Handy enough to have by the look of it :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: 05 April 2014, 17:27:20 »

Could use that for a myriad of things :y obvious items being sunroof gubbins, door latches/hinges, handbrake/trailer brake linkages etc :y

Probably as good as copper slip on suspension joints, not sure the temp range is high enough for brake/bearing use though :-\ Handy enough to have by the look of it :y

Thanks for that .. methinks that after the geo is done on Monday I might slap a bit of that about the front TRE adjusters and the rear control arm adjusters .. some of that on top of the copper grease might just keep the corrosion at bay a tad longer !!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: 05 April 2014, 17:45:11 »

Checked the Elite's brake disc for MOT, the only rust, as listed in last year's advisory, is a 1-2mm ring on the outer edge of each rear disc. Advisory FFS. I guess they have to put something. >:( >:( >:(

Rubbed and ground out the minor rust on the inner front wheel arches. Silver Hammerite tomorrow, then underseal, to hopefully delay the welding which was required on the TD. :y
« Last Edit: 05 April 2014, 17:48:19 by Shackeng »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: 05 April 2014, 17:49:11 »

Slapped a new exhaust on the Bullet :).  Thanks to the useless student for the use of his drive and some of his tools :y
Grumpy old man

elitedave

• harlow
    • elite 3.0L 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: 05 April 2014, 18:27:57 »

took her for her last drive and parked my miggy for the last time :(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: 05 April 2014, 18:29:46 »

Slapped a new exhaust on the Bullet :).  Thanks to the useless student for the use of his drive and some of his tools :y

I thought he'd moved? :-\ :-\ :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: 05 April 2014, 18:48:49 »

I thought he'd moved? :-\ :-\ :-\
So did his folks :P ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: 05 April 2014, 19:07:11 »

(Last night) Cut out out the useless front bushes from the spare wishbones to replace with poly, replaced front wishbones and drop links. Finished 1:30 AM  :-[ Sorry, neighbours.

Kinda had to stick with it given that the car was half in the garage. ::)

This morning, suspension setup and new front tyres. 3 new tyres for the glider trailer. FLARM collision avoidance system fitted to the glider. Bit knackered now.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #7435 on: 05 April 2014, 19:19:55 »

(Last night) Cut out out the useless front bushes from the spare wishbones to replace with poly, replaced front wishbones and drop links. Finished 1:30 AM  :-[ Sorry, neighbours.

This morning, suspension setup and new front tyres. 3 new tyres for the glider trailer. FLARM collision avoidance system fitted to the glider. Bit knackered now.

You should of said I could of nipped over at the weekend? Or sumat.

Anyway, done now.

omega3000

« Reply #7436 on: 05 April 2014, 20:17:11 »

;D

Never put battery on  :-[

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: 05 April 2014, 21:14:04 »

Anyway, done now.

:y

Was sort of last minute, as I noticed the state of the front tyres, and needed to get the trailer tyres, and wanted to get the suspension set up at the same time.

Must sort out project rear donuts sometime, though.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #7438 on: 05 April 2014, 22:44:06 »

Anyway, done now.

:y

Was sort of last minute, as I noticed the state of the front tyres, and needed to get the trailer tyres, and wanted to get the suspension set up at the same time.

Must sort out project rear donuts sometime, though.

No problem. A car park in Tadley perhaps. ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #7439 on: 06 April 2014, 00:02:01 »

That'll fit in nicely between ice cream and coffee :D

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.