Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3145384 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #13995 on: 26 March 2017, 20:15:42 »

Took of the calliper mounting bracket on the Battlebus, and attacked it with the grinder, to sort out the brake binding.

Went over to see chrisgixer to program up a replacement engine ECU - one of those 10 minute jobs that took over 3hrs ;D

Whilst there, was going to tighten up rear wiper arm on the Battlebus, as it keeps adjusting itself.  Removed the cover, and immediately noticed no amount of tightening was going to fix it ;D

Got home, ordered new rear wiper arm for Battlebus :P
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #13996 on: 27 March 2017, 08:55:50 »

Fitted the full steering column to the Cobra - it now steers when you waggle the wheel, hurrah!  Had to reduce the length of the intermediate shaft to suit (it does say to do that in the manual) and wanted to do it neatly, so .. decided I'd spend the hour to throw a motor back on one of the little lathes.

Eet verks! https://youtu.be/QaWcc4myVwU

I mean, I couldn't find a parting-off tool in my pile of tooling, nor could I find enough of the right shims to get the tool I did find correctly on centre, and there's enough play in the compound slide that it jumped a good twenty thou up and down at times.. but apart from that it got the job done ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: 27 March 2017, 11:14:57 »

Today I have been abusing the Battlebus on steep, narrow roads.  Mullered the brakes, and knackered the economy, but its behaving remarkably well.

Could definitely have used those missing horses today though, so need to have a poke around the turbo when I get home, along with grinding down the caliper mounting bracket to make the pads sit a little better on the back.

You know you could just get something decent and new and not spend 80% of your time repairing 3 rusting wrecks  ;D

Tunnie, you have spent the best part of ten years on here pointing out the stupidity of taking depreciation on the chin........yet when you buy (one of the dullest cars on the planet).......your tune changes..... ;D ;D ;) :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: 27 March 2017, 11:37:18 »

Today I have been abusing the Battlebus on steep, narrow roads.  Mullered the brakes, and knackered the economy, but its behaving remarkably well.

Could definitely have used those missing horses today though, so need to have a poke around the turbo when I get home, along with grinding down the caliper mounting bracket to make the pads sit a little better on the back.

You know you could just get something decent and new and not spend 80% of your time repairing 3 rusting wrecks  ;D

Tunnie, you have spent the best part of ten years on here pointing out the stupidity of taking depreciation on the chin........yet when you buy (one of the dullest cars on the planet).......your tune changes..... ;D ;D ;) :y

Times change, when I started I was a student and could spend all day tinkering without any issue. Time is a luxury now, I have zero spare time at weekends to spend crawling under cars.

Now owning a house, 2 cars, looking after MrsT and Little MissT and no longer doing shift work, I can't spend weekends under a car.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: 27 March 2017, 14:09:52 »

And let that be a lesson... ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: 27 March 2017, 14:11:06 »

Contemplated washing it and taking pictures with a view to selling it, but both would require getting out of bed ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14001 on: 27 March 2017, 19:23:54 »

TD Estate passed its MOT again. Will be up for sale shortly with a year's ticket. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: 27 March 2017, 19:25:22 »

Now owning a house, 2 cars, looking after MrsT and Little MissT and no longer doing shift work, I can't spend weekends under a car.
Yet everybody else manages to find time.  I too own a house, own 3 cars, and don't do shift work.  Yet I have time, despite the fact I suspect I have far more demands to deal with.

We all have choices, and yours is to take your car to those nice, honest people at VW, because there are awfully trustworthy, and pay their very reasonable charges to change the oil (and maybe even the filter if you're really lucky). You are prepared to lose that money in depreciation and running costs, in return for a badge on a vehicle that's hard to desire or justify.  As said, that's entirely your choice :y

But please stop berating everyone who can manage their time and dare I say even enjoy working on their cars, as you have for the last 10 years.  That's their choice :y
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #14003 on: 27 March 2017, 19:30:18 »

Yet everybody else manages to find time.  I too own a house, own 3 cars, and don't do shift work.  Yet I have time, despite the fact I suspect I have far more demands to deal with.

We all have choices, and yours is to take your car to those nice, honest people at VW, because there are awfully trustworthy, and pay their very reasonable charges to change the oil (and maybe even the filter if you're really lucky). You are prepared to lose that money in depreciation and running costs, in return for a badge on a vehicle that's hard to desire or justify.  As said, that's entirely your choice :y

But please stop berating everyone who can manage their time and dare I say even enjoy working on their cars, as you have for the last 10 years.  That's their choice :y
What he should have said was 'I've got more enjoyable/important things to do than crawl under cars at the weekend'. That makes perfect sense.
I used to like tinkering, now I don't, so I let someone else do a service once a year. No brainer, really.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: 27 March 2017, 20:15:16 »

Changed the water pump earlier. and hopefully the coolant wont all leak out again like it did previously

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14005 on: 27 March 2017, 23:15:38 »

Today I made a hole  :-\

Now I can check street condition directly beside my feet   ;) , but the Omega is a little noisy now. :o

Hope to find time to weld in my handcrafted repair sheet later this week 8)

direct upload

fotos kostenlos

Rolf
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: 27 March 2017, 23:25:07 »

Looked at it in disgust ::)

I suppose I'd better order a radiator for the replacement one. Question is, do I do the cam belt and water pump whilst it's apart... No proof of when it was done but certainly more than 4 years, although probably under 20k :-\

Or do I make sure it's going back on the road by MOTing it and then do the other work later, probably when swapping LPG over :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14007 on: 27 March 2017, 23:53:31 »

Looked at it in disgust ::)

I suppose I'd better order a radiator for the replacement one. Question is, do I do the cam belt and water pump whilst it's apart... No proof of when it was done but certainly more than 4 years, although probably under 20k :-\

Or do I make sure it's going back on the road by MOTing it and then do the other work later, probably when swapping LPG over :-\

I'd do this so that you have a list of priorities first, then you can make an informed decision.  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #14008 on: 28 March 2017, 07:37:24 »

Today I made a hole  :-\

Ah c'mon. Nobody is going to point out what shape the hole is? ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: 28 March 2017, 07:41:07 »

Oh cock and balls, that was an opportunity missed by Stemo ::)

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.