Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 6903810 times)

0 Members and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

ronnyd

  • Omega Lord
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
  • Posts: 9518
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28905 on: 27 July 2026, 20:03:57 »

Ronny.....would I be right in thinking you are the oldest living  OOF member?.. :)
If any were born before Dec 1944 no, i wouldn't be.  :)
Logged

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

  • Get A Life!!
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Utopia
  • Posts: 33326
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28906 on: 28 July 2026, 16:32:50 »

Ronny.....would I be right in thinking you are the oldest living  OOF member?.. :)
If any were born before Dec 1944 no, i wouldn't be.  :)

Even the gobby scouser isn't old enough to be a war baby. :D ;)
Logged

TheBoy

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Brackley, Northants
  • Posts: 108270
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28907 on: 29 July 2026, 11:30:51 »

Another MOT on hers....
Logged
Grumpy old man

tunnie

  • Get A Life!!
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Surrey
  • Posts: 37703
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW i4M60
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28908 on: 30 July 2026, 11:15:41 »

Airbag recall on the Tourer, so dropped that in this morning. 20min job.

First time I've driven it in several months, I forget how slow it is  ;D
Logged

TheBoy

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Brackley, Northants
  • Posts: 108270
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28909 on: 30 July 2026, 14:06:30 »

Airbag recall on the Tourer, so dropped that in this morning. 20min job.

First time I've driven it in several months, I forget how slow it is  ;D
Zafiras aren't built for speed. Or comfort. Or handling.
Logged
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

  • Get A Life!!
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • Posts: 31063
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28910 on: 30 July 2026, 15:59:16 »

Borrowed a Nissan Altima for the day and gave it a blast up the coast from San Francisco. Fantastic driving road if anyone has the Pacific Coast Highway on their bucket list 8)

Get a car and stay in accommodation rather than renting an RV if you want to enjoy the driving as I can imagine some stretches would be quite stressful in a big camper.

It's been a privilege, (and I need to revisit LA to Big Sur as last time I went to drive it the weather was meh so skipped the last 70 miles :-X ), but have otherwise managed to drive from Mexico to Canada and back one day at a time on work trips.

A retirement trip suggestion would be take a couple of weeks to get from San Diego to Seattle and then, if you time it right seasonally and feel really adventurous, catch the ferry to Juneau or Anchorage for another week. You could lose another month in the Pacific North West alone just gawking at the scenery.
Logged
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

  • Omega Baron
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Telford
  • Posts: 4691
    • Too many, mostly broken
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28911 on: 30 July 2026, 16:08:29 »

Sounds like an amazing trip - San Diego was one of, if not the favourite city I got to visit with work.


A retirement trip suggestion would be take a couple of weeks to get from San Diego to Seattle and then, if you time it right seasonally and feel really adventurous, catch the ferry to Juneau or Anchorage for another week. You could lose another month in the Pacific North West alone just gawking at the scenery.

I have plans to travel a lot in that part of the world when I retire, we did a cruise out of Vancouver a couple of years ago - some of the sights and experiences up there are like nothing else. There is just so much to see over there I don't know how I'd do it justice while still working.
Logged

Marks DTM Calib

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • West Bridgford
  • Posts: 34168
  • Git!
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28912 on: 31 July 2026, 09:08:50 »

Changed it again, same type, different colour
Logged

TheBoy

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Brackley, Northants
  • Posts: 108270
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28913 on: 31 July 2026, 09:16:12 »

Changed it again, same type, different colour
Which is? We can't keep up with your constant car changing!
Logged
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • West Bridgford
  • Posts: 34168
  • Git!
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28914 on: 31 July 2026, 09:42:46 »

Changed it again, same type, different colour
Which is? We can't keep up with your constant car changing!

Range Rover Sport 460 Phev  :y
Logged

LC0112G

  • Omega Baron
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • 0
  • Posts: 2662
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28915 on: 31 July 2026, 09:52:37 »

Borrowed a Nissan Altima for the day and gave it a blast up the coast from San Francisco. Fantastic driving road if anyone has the Pacific Coast Highway on their bucket list 8)

Get a car and stay in accommodation rather than renting an RV if you want to enjoy the driving as I can imagine some stretches would be quite stressful in a big camper.

It's been a privilege, (and I need to revisit LA to Big Sur as last time I went to drive it the weather was meh so skipped the last 70 miles :-X ), but have otherwise managed to drive from Mexico to Canada and back one day at a time on work trips.

A retirement trip suggestion would be take a couple of weeks to get from San Diego to Seattle and then, if you time it right seasonally and feel really adventurous, catch the ferry to Juneau or Anchorage for another week. You could lose another month in the Pacific North West alone just gawking at the scenery.

Last time I was in the US flying out of SFO I found a fantastic road - SR198 from Coalinga to San Lucas - from Leemore just south of King City. Wouldn't be much fun if you got stuck behind a truck, but this time there was absolutley nothing on it. Lets just say I made good time to my night stop :-)

Going back in Sept, and I think I've made a mistake. Booked the BA A380 in buisness to get home from SFO rather than the AA B777 via LAX - it was 'only' $500 more than PE so thought I'd treat myself. I generally like A380's, but now I've read the reviews of the BA A380 offering I'm not sure I've made the right choice. The later BA B777 looks better, but is over $3000 which I ain't payin'.
Logged

Doctor Gollum

  • Get A Life!!
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • Posts: 31063
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28916 on: 31 July 2026, 10:08:28 »

Unless it's the refitted A3 Maybe* I wouldn't bother. It's the old Club seat. All the Heathrow 777s, including the 773s, have the new suite. A much much better proposition.

Personally I would pay the extra for that. I've never set foot on our A3 Maybe but the old seats are archaic. At the very least book a window seat so you're not sleeping in the aisle...

BA287/286 is the 773. Both the BA 281/280 and 283/282 are currently B773s but they do occasionally use the 772 LR.

There's also the 789/781s from Portland. The 789 is a gamble as we're currently refitting them to the new suites. Seattle is both Suite 772/773 or the 781.

*So called that Maybe it will depart and Maybe it won't :-X Also the refit is going so well that the first one has been going on for almost a year :-X
Logged
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

  • Omega Baron
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • 0
  • Posts: 2662
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28917 on: 31 July 2026, 11:40:08 »

I'm booked as an AA code share, so limited to what changes I can make. The Saturday A380 and B777 both show the same price, but the airshow I'm trying to get to is in Sacremento and doesn't finish till 6PM, so realistically I can't get to either Saturday flight. The Sunday A380 is the same price as the Saturday flights, but the (later) B777 is $1500 more, so no go. I looked at PDX and SEA and they're both expensive too, and not sure AA wll let me swap anyway. Plus it'd cost a few hundred bucks to fly up from SAC to PDX/SEA.

The BA site won't let me select a seat without paying an additional £150-£200, and the seatmap for the flight is showing a 2-3-2 layout upstairs, 2-4-2 downstairs, so looks like it the old bus layout. Do you know the tail number (registration) of the updated layout aircraft? G-XLE_?
Logged

TheBoy

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Brackley, Northants
  • Posts: 108270
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28918 on: 31 July 2026, 12:50:59 »

Changed it again, same type, different colour
Which is? We can't keep up with your constant car changing!

Range Rover Sport 460 Phev  :y
Good, I need some 8x4 sheets lugging around ;D

An old family friends husband has recently picked on up - he gets 2 company cars as well - and they seem so much bigger than the old RRS inside :y
Logged
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

  • Get A Life!!
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • Posts: 31063
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #28919 on: 31 July 2026, 14:25:29 »

I'm booked as an AA code share, so limited to what changes I can make. The Saturday A380 and B777 both show the same price, but the airshow I'm trying to get to is in Sacremento and doesn't finish till 6PM, so realistically I can't get to either Saturday flight. The Sunday A380 is the same price as the Saturday flights, but the (later) B777 is $1500 more, so no go. I looked at PDX and SEA and they're both expensive too, and not sure AA wll let me swap anyway. Plus it'd cost a few hundred bucks to fly up from SAC to PDX/SEA.

The BA site won't let me select a seat without paying an additional £150-£200, and the seatmap for the flight is showing a 2-3-2 layout upstairs, 2-4-2 downstairs, so looks like it the old bus layout. Do you know the tail number (registration) of the updated layout aircraft? G-XLE_?
I can try and find out, but I believe it's still on the shed in Manilla while they try and figure out how to strengthen the upper deck without buying the 748 to replace it >:D

Although it's not a type I am qualified on, I have seen nothing about the refit since it the first one left Lundun. The fact there's zero press about it suggests it's not going well as the 78E and 78N refits have been well documented. Whether that's because the A3Maybe went in for a D Check as well as the refit so was going to take forever anyway  :-\ The 787s were done in house in Cardiff and I think the 788/78E conversions are all done and the 789/78Ns are well underway.

The 787 manuals were updated before the first aircraft was returned and I have yet to anything A380 related.

For flights, PDX and SEA are always full with alot of connections down the coast.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2026, 14:38:26 by Doctor Gollum »
Logged
Onanists always think outside the box.
 

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.